Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here successfully dyed a black piece of vinyl trim to a lighter color? I have a parchment interior with a torn steering wheel pad and dash knee pad. I can't seem to find any good used parts in parchment, but black parts are pretty easy to find. I'm also considering putting an overhead console in, but I'm sure a parchment one would be near impossible to find, whereas I can find black overhead consoles all over e B a y. Is the dye opaque enough to cover black (or other dark colors) with a light color like parchment? If not, can I somehow bleach a darker part before dyeing? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
I've dyed my console from burgandy to red, inserts in my door panels from black to red and a knee pad from black to red. Time will tell how long it holds up...... so far so good. Make sure you use the prep spray.

·
Registered
404 Posts
About 3 years ago, I dyed my sunvisors from dark blue to parchment. Still looks great.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I've re-dyed many black interior parts in my Mustang to parchment with no problem and it's been almost 2 years.

MAKE SURE YOU USE VINYL PREP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
reccomend you use SEM products ( i got mine from Eastwoods but others probably hae it) and think you can change color. CLEAN is the word and i used Eastwoods stuff on my '68 crash pad to go from sunlit gold to black and it looks like it just came out of factory - no wear and tear yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spray can stuff from the Mustang specialty catalogs is crap. We redyed some old faded parchment armrests back to new parchment and they peeled....twice. Would use a different brand next time. Followed the directions to a T.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Eastwood and Mustangs Plus both have excellent prep and dye!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts