Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used or experimented with any of the vinyl dye products out there? If so any brands to go with or stay away from? Thanks..

·
Registered
446 Posts
Dupli color, Vinyl & Fabric color. You can buy this at Auto Zone. There is probabbly better stuff, but I used this on my boat in a few areas and it worked Great. It has lasted three years and I use my boat 3 day a week 8 months a year. If it worked in the boat, it will work in the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Was the prep involved? Are special solvents needed? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Take a look at SEM products http://www.sem.ws/product.php?product_id=190. Recommended to me here and I had great results. Talked to one of the company reps and he walked me right through how to do it (he even gave me his extension so if I had another question I could talk to him again)– preparation is the key. Washed first with dawn until the water sheeted off – 2 to 3 wash and rise cycles. Next using a scotchbrite grey pad and their vinyl wash product I again washed and rinsed everything scrubbing into all the little crevices and rinse till the water sheeted off (did not bead), 2 to 3 times. I let everything dry overnight. I was fortunate with a warm calm day and painted everything outside. Several light coats are best. Looks great. Did the entire interior with Landau Black 15013.

Also used the same Landau black for the dash and doors, with their spray can primer underneath – look really good. I had used the krylon paint that is so popular, and yes it looked good but it was not standing up well – the SEM products seem to be more durable. Look for an older post my Midlife on door preparation.

Hope this helps

Michael

·
Registered
396 Posts
I used the VHT brand to do my interiour,cleaned up with thinners,sprayed light coats,after 4 years still a good as the day i done it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts