Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about dying the seats in my mustang black as I am chaning out the interior to a metalic blue/black interior and the current seats are green/gold and would clash horribly. I have no money left to reapulster the rear and buy new modern seat for the front though i plan on doing htis in the future. My question is if i use vinyl prep and vinyl dye will the dye stick well enough to the seats not to come off on clothes. The reason i ask is i dyed my sunvisors black and on hot days they would stick to my formerly parchment headliner and leave a black line where the side of the visor stuck. I would really love black seats but not at the cost of my clothes(or a dates, can you imagine what a girl would do to me if i dyed her clothes black :D).

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
If you clean the seats with laquer thinner first to get off every speck of arourall, dirt etc, THEN you use vinyl prep properly THEN you dye them with light even coats only until covered, YES it will stay on and will not wipe off.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My brother has a 68 GTO he dyed his seats white followed the instruction to the letter i mean really who want to do it twice? but anyway the did wear off from where you slide your @ss in and out. i found the dye to work graet on everything else
chris

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi,

Be advised... the dye does not go nearly as far as the paint does. Buy about 3 cans of dye to do what 1 can of paint will do.

John Thomas

G

·
0 Posts
Lots of previous discussions on this which is searchable.

As a general rule, do not dye any parts that come in constant contact as they will wear through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts