Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last phase of my build is a new top. My upholstery guy is pushing me to go with a cloth top. Vinyl is cheaper and I already have the rear curtain (window) for a vinyl top.

I do prefer the look of a cloth top, but it seems as if it would be easier to get dirty, harder to get clean, and show wear with time.

Taking money off the table, recommendations?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
ralph said:
cloth is way better, I've had mine since 1989. You never see a mercedes or bmw with a vinyl top.

Probably wouldn't put a vinyl top on a Duesenburg, Bently or Rolls either!

Guess to me my Mustang will get dirt on it and doesn't hang with the country club set!
Ironically if I had a concours car I'd want a Haartz cloth top.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Are you using this car as a Daily Driver? Assuming the answer is no, how often are you going to drive the car? And of that time, how often is the top going to be up? Long road trips maybe?

My thought is 99% of your driving will be top down. The only time the top will be up is when the car is in the garage, in which case the car is (should be) covered.

Go with the vinyl, spend your money on something else. I also think cloth might look out of place on a vintage mustang, but then again I've never seen one. My $.02.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
The top on my car is about 5 years old. It is known as Hartz or Stayfast. The dark blue color is off a color sample chart for a co. called Electron. I just put it up today as it has been down for awhile. Garage kept it is not faded. It is no harder to clean up than a vinyl one and it looks better IMO. It was more expensive but not to the point of passing on it because of cost.

One thing I did was to order a fabric strip of 5" width in the same fabric, at bottom of the plastic "glass" The smaller rear window does not hamper rear vision and it gives the top a lower look. The real glass window cvts have this strip.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My BMW has a cloth top and I wouldn't trade it for vinyl...ever. The key is to keep it well sealed. Water beads off and dirt does not stick.
Eventually I will put cloth on my car. Fortunately the PO had recently replaced the top on my 67 so I will use it until it needs to be redone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts