Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you put a vinyl top on a car that was originally a non-vinyl topped car? Is it as simple as just putting the vinyl over the top?:shrug:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i think you can but i think you also need special trim items witch may or may not be reproduced

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm doing that.
You can get repo molding.
The part you can't get, that I know of, is a strip of metal that goes behind the drip rail. It is used to secure the vinyl down, Im sure it helps but is not required.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Can you put a vinyl top on a car that was originally a non-vinyl topped car? Is it as simple as just putting the vinyl over the top?:shrug:
Can you put one on? Sure! Is it as simple as putting the vinyl over the top? Kinda. If you do nothing more than install the vinyl top on a non-original vinyl top car, the chrome trim piece at the bottom of the roof panel will not lay correctly. There is a wide body seam there where the top of the quarter panel and bottom of the roof section meet. The seam is filled in (with lead), on painted roof coupes. On original vinyl top cars this seam is not filled in. The resulting depression from the seam not being filled in allows the molding to lay properly. You'll also need to drill the holes to mount the trim piece (which is reproduced).

If you can find a set of the trim strips that go into the top of the drip rail, these were attached with rivets. They're pretty difficult to locate though. The channel was then filled with a sealer color matched to the top (completely covering the strips!). A '66 coupe I currently own is an original vinyl top car. It had the riveted strips, as did an original vinyl top '68 coupe I previously owned. You can get by without them. They were missing on my '68, but I located a pair to replace them when I replaced the top. In retrospect it really wasn't worth the trouble. That was also 24 years ago when parts seemed a little easier to locate...even without the internet! The ones on my '66 coupe are also missing, but I don't intend to replace them when the new top goes on.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Is it the look of the vinyl top you like or are you going to be hiding something. I love the look of a vinyl top. Like the other have said, the only difference would be the recess area where the chrome trim. You can see it on my car.
I just pull my old vinyl off about a month ago then primed and painted the top, now just waiting for the paint to gas out before I lay the new vinyl.

·
Registered
583 Posts
umm guys i need a new vinyl top as you can see in my picture that is a piece of cake right if it is a vinyl origianal car with the netal rivet sections and molding?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
umm guys i need a new vinyl top as you can see in my picture that is a piece of cake right if it is a vinyl origianal car with the netal rivet sections and molding?
Should be just a straight replacement for ya! Just remember to address any rust/damage issues you find underneath. They can/will show up through the vinyl top if you don't, especially a black one! I'd suggest that if you're going to repaint the whole car, do just that....repaint the WHOLE car, roof and all. Some may disagree and suggest just a good coat of epoxy primer. That's still better than what the factory did. It comes down to your choice then. I didn't repaint the roof on my '68, just epoxy primered it before top replacement. I wasn't repainting the car though. Since my '66 is getting a complete repaint, I'll be including the roof before the new top goes one.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
As you have all the correct trim, Yes it is simple with the front and back windows removed.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Remember to do the headliner at the same time

·
Registered
986 Posts
This same subject is discussed a couple pages back in a thread started by FredM. Worth reading.
I went with a vinyl top on my '68 California Special:
While there is a leaded seam area where the A pillar meets the 1/4 panel, there was NO indentation to prevent the correct fitment of the trim strip.
It is only necessary to remove the windshield & rear window trim to accommodate tucking the vinyl (with glue) around the frame. No NEED to do the headliner @ this time.
The A panel trim pieces are fastened with 3 studs (requiring drilling holes) and secured by 3 nuts that require loosening the headliner inside the A pillar for access.

Neil Hoppe

Attachments

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
I went with a vinyl top on my '68 California Special:
While there is a leaded seam area where the A pillar meets the 1/4 panel, there was NO indentation to prevent the correct fitment of the trim strip.
+1 Two 68's w/vinyl tops, no indent, Think its a 65-66 thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts