Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a little work on the car, I found that it used to have a vinyl top. Anyone ever replace one? how hard? I've found them for $65 bucks online, so cost isn't too bad.

It still has the trim installed and I believe the rails are complete (the rivets are still there).

·
Registered
839 Posts
Did it single handed came out fantastic. Glue the flat center section between the two seams first and let it cure for a couple days. That secures the vinyl nicely so you can then start working the material down the pillars and into the drip rails and to the front and rear window openings. With the center portion cured you don't have to worry about it shifting on you and gives a nice tight fit without bumps or ripples. Also by gluing to the seams first, the seam will hide any slight bump from gluing at two separate times. Don't need the extra set of hands helping you. I used 3M super adhesive trim spray glue. I've had numerous compliments. Good luck and enjoy your finished project.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I forgot to mention, the vinyl top material is inexpensive, the glue will be the costly item, but don't scrimp on it or it will bubble later on, buy plenty so you don't run out in the middle of a section and return any used cans left over or use them elsewherelike your interior or sound proofing material. Get maybe ten cans of spray glue to get started. My car is a 68 coupe.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I did it slightly different from Oboebrian, but his write up is very good. I had much doubts beforehand (never done anything like this before), but with a helper it was not too difficult and I am very happy with the result. If you want I have some pictures while installing. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts