Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty my vinyl top is cracking and underneath it i can feel some bulges-assuming its rusting and the metal is pushing up on the top. Alright I have 2 gallons of my paint left over from the paint job (boss like the color bought another gallon and went with a different color).

My question is should I take the top off fix the damage and go all gold for the top? Or replace the vinyl?

If I go paint should I have stripes put on it? 2 black stripes? I have a original 69 hood scoop i was considering putting on it too? Just at a stage where I am considering. Any suggestions?!?!?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I say keep the vinyl top, it looks nice. I also say NO to stripes and NO hood scoop. More isn't always better (think of all the Civics with fart mufflers, tails, and stripes.) Nice looking Coupe!!

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
KEEP IT! ;)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
monkeystash said:
I say keep the vinyl top, it looks nice. I also say NO to stripes and NO hood scoop. More isn't always better (think of all the Civics with fart mufflers, tails, and stripes.) Nice looking Coupe!!
Literally exactly what I was going to say.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Just don't put one on a fastback....

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/med_1194273488-D5F8949D23.jpg

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
JMO

No way I would ever put a vinyl top on a coupe. Vinyl is for convertibles!

Your car would be beautiful with all gold.

John Harvey

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I love a coupe with a nice contrasting color vinyl top. I'm doing the same thing right now on my coupe, fixing the rust and replacing the top. There's no way I'd leave it off.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Vinyl!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
fast68back said:
Just don't put one on a fastback....

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/med_1194273488-D5F8949D23.jpg
OMG, was that actually a factory option?

WHERE IS THE PUKE ICON!?!

I also agree with John Harvey that I personally would never put a vinyl top on one of my cars, but I do enjoy seeing other cars with vinyl tops, and think that they do look good on some vehicles. Plus the labor to smooth out your roof probably isn't worth it. just my $.02

Actually, I would never buy a car with a vinyl top in the first place.

·
Registered
713 Posts
JSHarvey said:
JMO

No way I would ever put a vinyl top on a coupe. Vinyl is for convertibles!

Your car would be beautiful with all gold.

John Harvey
I agree. Vinyl tops were made for Cadillacs and other expensive American cars back during the 60's. Mustangs were the family sports car, and vinyl tops didn't add up to a sports car figure. As you have experienced, the vinyl top has only caused rust on your roof. Get that crap off and repair the rust, then paint the car.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Gingerstang said:
Vinyl tops were made for Cadillacs and other expensive American cars back during the 60's.
That's not true at all. A large percentage of Mopars had vinyl tops and I'm talking the cheap models like Roadrunners, Super Bees, etc. In fact, in 1970 the Superbird was only available with a vinyl top. It is very common to see Hemi and 440 Mopars also with vinyl tops. GM also had plenty of Chevelles, Novas, even El Caminos sporting vinyl. They were popular with all cars, not just the Caddys and the big dollar rides.

·
Registered
713 Posts
monkeystash said:
Gingerstang said:
Vinyl tops were made for Cadillacs and other expensive American cars back during the 60's.
That's not true at all. A large percentage of Mopars had vinyl tops and I'm talking the cheap models like Roadrunners, Super Bees, etc. In fact, in 1970 the Superbird was only available with a vinyl top. It is very common to see Hemi and 440 Mopars also with vinyl tops. GM also had plenty of Chevelles, Novas, even El Caminos sporting vinyl. They were popular with all cars, not just the Caddys and the big dollar rides.
Yes it's true. Real sports cars back in the 60's and 70's didn't have vinyl rooves. You can say that sports cars such as the super Bee, etc came with vinyl rooves, but the real sports cars didn't. Those were spin-offs of the originals. The Mopar/Ford and GM company were using the spin-off effect to attract more buyers to the market, so introduced the vinyl top to attract more buyers of their cars. Have you been to the track lately and noticed any vinyl top cars running?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Gingerstang said:
monkeystash said:
Gingerstang said:
Yes it's true. Real sports cars back in the 60's and 70's didn't have vinyl rooves. You can say that sports cars such as the super Bee, etc came with vinyl rooves, but the real sports cars didn't. Those were spin-offs of the originals. The Mopar/Ford and GM company were using the spin-off effect to attract more buyers to the market, so introduced the vinyl top to attract more buyers of their cars. Have you been to the track lately and noticed any vinyl top cars running?
A Mustang isn't a sports car. But for arguments sake; Mustangs, Camaros, and Cudas/Challengers which all raced at the track in Trans Am racing all came from the factory with available vinyl tops. I will agree that sports cars, which are mostly Euro, came sans vinyl.

http://www.loumash.com/GS/images/poseyinfront.jpg

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
MonkeyStansh is right. None of the cars you mentioned are sports cars, they are American pony cars/muscle cars. And plenty of American cars had vinyl tops.

Sports cars must have two seats and are focused on handling. Corvettes, Cobras, Sunbeam Tigers... now those are sports cars.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I like vinyl roof cars okay, but I would never own one. If I was doing a restoration, I would remove the top.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts