Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I'm researching convertible tops and materials as well. Also throwing into the mix Robbins and Kee brands. Lots of options out there for materials and backings.

https://www.robbinsautotopco.com/toppings-hst.php

https://www.keeautotop.com/samples.html
FYI, I have a Kee top and I was very disappointed. My biggest gripe is on their "warranty", what kind of company doesn't warranty THE ZIPPER! Mine broke after just a few months of normal use, they basically told me to kick rocks when I contacted them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
To clarify a bit, I'm talking about the vinyl material that goes on the notch-back coupes, as opposed to a vinyl convertible top.

So both the Scott Drake and Legendary (NPD) tops have come in, and one of them is due for installation tomorrow.
Below are pics of the Legendary top. I can post side-by-side pics later, but at first glance there honestly doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the grain.
Biggest/noticeable difference is that the Legendary top does not have the fleece backing, while the Scott Drake top does. This is a bit of mystery to me, as I thought that they all had fleece backing. Someone on this thread had suggesting NOT using a fleece backing, but I'm wondering if anyone has any further insight into this topic. ???
For now I'm leaving it up to the installer to help me determine which may be best.

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
The fleece is pretty thin. I don't know that anyone could stretch it that hard to create a lumps or rolls. I am concerned though what happens when the fleece or even non fleece tops get wet by washing or just getting caught in the rain.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The fleece is pretty thin. I don't know that anyone could stretch it that hard to create a lumps or rolls. I am concerned though what happens when the fleece or even non fleece tops get wet by washing or just getting caught in the rain.
I believe that the vinyl top is water/weather proof, so shouldn't be an issue unless it is incorrectly installed or starts to break down. At least that's what I've heard. Otherwise there would be massive rust issues with these things. And while there are rust issues, I don't believe that they are massive issues. :shrug:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It took me a bit to chime-in on this, because I discovered that our vinyl top selections are a bit of a "mess" in our catalog and online. I'll try to keep it simple.

The correct vinyl top for your '65 would be one with "integral A-pillars".

We carry two levels of quality, the lesser quality being manufactured by Acme (VT-50-AS) and the best-quality being manufactured by Legendary (VT-56-A).

The PRIMARY DIFFERENCE between the more-expensive Legendary, and pretty much any/every other brand that's out there, is the correctness of the Levant grain.

As far as I know, Legendary and only Legendary has Levant vinyl that is dead-nuts correct and accurate to original. The Levant that everyone else is using does not have near the level of depth and definition. It looks like someone hit the vinyl with a giant flat-iron.

I realize that $318.95 is pricey for a vinyl top... But since a K-code is a fairly high-dollar car, you might consider taking the plunge on this one. Side by side, the difference is very noticeable.

Rick
NPD
Interesting development. I called the manufacturer of the more expensive top, Legendary, to inquire about fleece vs. non-fleece backing. They were a little bewildered because they claim that, consistent with what's on their web site, they don't even make/offer a top for Mustangs. ??? So perhaps the top sold at NPD is really made for a different car, but fits on the Mustang? :shrug:

So that little data point aside, they didn't really have a good argument in terms of fleece vs. non-fleece backing, other than the non-fleece was "more original" and that the material without the backing was the type of stock that they used in the factory.

Okay.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts