Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, after a year, I went back to the mustang salvage yard in Casper yesterday. We had some business over there so I took my tools and begged SWMBO for a few dollars. My coworker and I went together and the salvage guy wasn't overly freindly. Untill he gets to know you he sends you back to the lot behind his office....once he trusts you, there is a bigger yard several blocks away. Mostly all mustangs of every year imaginable.

So we crawled around a bunch of them getting purchase ideas. I didn't really know what I needed yet. The salvage guy came out and warned us to stay away from "these two" as they are rebuild candidates. Hmmmm Ok! We spotted a black 65 coupe that was rearended in a wreck and spotted a nice parking brake assembly still in the car. I needed one so we removed it with some difficulty. Also the bracket for it and the vent cable for the drivers side. Grabbed a hood latch support, defroster grille, interior dash/windshield trim and the rear seat/trunk divider cardboard piece. Lots of nuts and bolts were in the toolbox, so when we settled up, I had everything on display and the toolbox opened up to show him. I thought $20 bucks was a good deal. He was much more talkative then too.

Maybe next time he will trust me enough to go to the big lot. Need to get some window regulators. What a rush to snoop around those old junkers and go shopping. Then crawl through these things to snag a part. I was in mustang heaven for a couple hours. I'm going back/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
WOW, sounds like alot of fun. I only wish there were something like that around here. Around NYC they would probably try to chg you $20 just for a bolt.

SCOTT
65CONV, C-CODE, T10, 4BBL
LOOKS LIKE I'LL BE DRIVING SOON

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I know how you felt. There's a Ford junkyard here that has tons of motors, transmissions etc... But no Mustang bodys. But if I needed a engine he's got em.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
It was a lot of fun to go to the junkyards in the late 70's & early 80's when the junkyards were chock full of old Mustangs just waiting to be picked. It was like a dealers parts store, just a lot cheaper. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Junkyards are super fun, if a little sad sometimes....I wish I could save all the cool mustangs rusting away...

And ufortunately due to insurance etc few yards will let you stroll and pick yourself.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats true, why do they call junkyards junkyards??? But remember, one man's junk is another man's treasure./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts