Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well things are going better with my painter and I. I think he really wants the car to turn out nice, he is a pretty good guy and I know he cares.

Last week we decided to replace the rear tail panel, so Jeff Tepper and I found a tail panel for him to keep things moving. The car was hit before I bought it and there was a lot of damage that was half ass fixed in the past, the painter and I (with Jeff and Craig adding in) felt this was the only proper way to proceed.

We are replacing the tail panel and using new trunk brackets. It should look really good when they are done. The sad part is I had the frame straightened when I first bought the car but they didn't bother to fix any of this mess but chose to ignore it!

I slipped the owner and the body guy a little cash for the holidays to keep them motivated. I am thinking end of January at this point.

So far the Dynacorn tail panel seems to fit great!

http://home.comcast.net/~gtscode/gtscode/photogallery/rear/rear_body_work1.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~gtscode/gtscode/photogallery/rear/rear_body_work2.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~gtscode/gtscode/photogallery/rear/rear_body_work3.JPG

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Looks like progress to me. Once you have been there you know it needs to look worse before it can look better. Before you know it, it will be done.

This time of year I do kind of miss your old Christmas colors! You need to post an old pic along with the updated pics to keep us all in the holiday spirit.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to agree I miss the red and green a little too. That is why I am keeping the original door tag which as both red and green on it for a keepsake.

Merry Christmas!!!!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Looking good Justin. Can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I also visited Justins car yesterday and agree that it is coming along pretty well. Glad to see you went ahead to have the rear frame rail finished Justin. It's going to turn out great. Watched the body guy primer up that nice looking trunk lid :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, the body guy was telling me how much easier to work with the second deck lid was. I watched him prep it before I left.

His exact words were "the other one was garbage".

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,020 Posts
Looking real good - you'll be pleased with the end result, I'm sure. I watched the same process in mine, you'll be glad the frame job got done right.
My Dynacorn quarters worked well also - lined up nicely with minimal massaging, even with the repro tail light panel. Using an original trunklid like you are doing also helped keep lines straight.

This is how good the Dynacorn panels are - they imitated the original Ford 1/4 panels so well that they got the exact same rain water leak into the side of the trunk that dad found in 1967 when the car was new. He went back to Ford several times to get it fixed under warranty, they didn't do a good job.
This time, with the Dynacorns and original trunk lid, after we found the leak, we repositioned the trunk lid just slightly downwards from dead true (just enough so that the stainless trunk molding no longer exactly lines up :( ), and add a bit of "dum-dum" to the underside of the rubberstrip where it attaches to the trunk lid. The effect is to slightly lower the trunk lid a fraction of an inch to more tightly compress the now slightly thicker weatherstrip to make a good water seal around the sides of the trunk where rain flowed in. It seems to largely do the job now and overall the bodylines still look straight.
You might also run into this problem, as you're doing the same process also, so if this helps at all.... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts