Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A VMF Lottery

Each month as many people as wanted to could buy $1.00 tickets (as many as they want). Each ticket would get a consecutive number. At the end of the month a drawing would be held with 1/2 (or whatever % the VMF agrees on) of the purchase amount going to Bob to help with VMF expenses and the other half going to that month's winner to spend as they wish.

I think the auctions are great and should continue, but the lottery would give people a (slim) chance at getting cash so they could buy whatever parts/services they needed/wanted.

I know that a lottery is usually a tax on people that can't do math; but in this case everyone that participated would know a certain percetnage was going towards funding the VMF.

What do you all think? It is possible that one of the good programers could writie some software that would issue the tickets electronically and keep track of the amounts so that everyone would know the current jackpot and donation level. I couldn't but I know some VMFers could.

What do you think, is this a good or bad idea? Anyone interested in programing it?

John Harvey

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It would be a good idea it it is legal.

In Youth baseball fundraising that is known as a "50/50 raffle". 50% goes to winner 50% gose to fundraising.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I think it's a good idea.

However, to make it desireable to all VMFers who'd be apt to buy a ticket, I'd make the lottery for something universally attractive...Perhaps a gift certificate for a set dollar amount for parts via Ponderosa Mustang. That way guys/gals who want different parts for their '65s or '73s will contribute. Dickson

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I like Dickson idea cert rather than cash, I think if we opened a cash deal might have legal problems or at least attrack big brother looking over our shoulder.

Mark

·
Registered
41 Posts
I really like dickson's idea. I mean who are we kidding, we all know where the money would go! Besides, unlike the IRS Child Tax Credit, your significant other would not even know this exists. Ha, Ha... ::

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, we could go the certificate route - but then that might limit you to a specific vendor :-(. (Although I always recommend Matt at Ponderosa!)

We could simple say everytime we sold 500 tickets, we would have a drawing and award a $250 gift certificate to the winner, and $250 to Bob.

We couldn't predict the end time of a given raffle because we wouldn't know when the tickets would sell, but we could post how many tickets have been sold at any given moment for a specific raffle.

Maybe we could say a $250 gift certificate to the vendor of your choice and list vendors that have contributed to the VMF or purchased advertising from the VMF.

Would that work?

John Harvey

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I suggest using gift certificates from a different vender each month, $25 each.

Every 50 tickets buy 1 gift certificate (after its over) so that its pretty close to a 1/25 odds.

Try to get the vender to give us some for free, this may work because it will attract business, and usually when I buy stuff i buy more than $25 worth.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, I just see a few problems.

How do you propose that we "purchase" the electronic tickets? I don't know if sending money or money orders in the mail is the best way to handle it. If we were to Paypal the money, would it be worth it with the fees associated? We could have "accounts" that are paid on a monthly basis, but then what if someone wins the jackpot and never pays for their ticket/account? Another problem with this is, who would be responsible for those not paying their accounts...?

If we have it once a month, is there a set cut off date and time each month?

·
Registered
230 Posts
It sounds like a good idea!! However, if the prize was money instead of a gift cert. it might attract people who dont even care about mustangs kinda like not to mention any names but their initials are (Onelow98)hehe. So i say we go for the gift certificates. Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
I like the idea of the lottery, but probably would not participate for the simple reason of being in the business, and don't really need a certificate to another vendor. I know there are some other folks out there in the business that would probably be in the same boat! Now if the option was given to the winner, where you had a choice to take the money or certificate that would be great! And you could do something like TheShagg suggested and rotate vendors each month for all who wanted to participate, and maybe allow each vendor to add something extra to the certificate to entice the winner to go with a certificate over cash, like throwing in another $20.00 on the certificate if chosen over cash. but at least each person would have a choice of either cash or vendor certificate

Just a thought!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I think Whizco there has a good idea, and to add something, limit it to only people on the VMF, so people who whould pick the money, instead of certificates because they haven't a stang, can't do just that. They have to have a legit VMF account.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I would like the hard cold cash idea better. I have a short list of the vendors I use for the Mustang parts (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), and a different list for the performance parts. At the point I'm at on my '69 sportsroof, there's not enough reproduction parts made to bother with most of the Mustang vendors. I'm scouring auctions and other "outside" sources to find the parts I need. Certificates wouldn't help me much at all, unless the say "In God we Trust" on them. ;)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Heck...even better, start a "ladies & men of the night" one week each month, donating 10% of their gross income!!!!!!!!!It will even help get the economy moving......especially in Fresno!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Bishir, always one to support a good cause, just PM'd me that he'll be willing to volunteer his "services" for a night !!!! ::

1 - 15 of 15 Posts