Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently received several emails from VMF indicating that it is infected with the Sobig virus. :(

If you receive an email from VMF with a subject line of:
Re: Details
Re: Approved
Re: Re: My details
Re: Thank you!
Re: That movie
Re: Wicked screensaver
Re: Your application

DO NOT open the attachment

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I got several (about 20) emails on both home and work email accounts that this was floating around my system. But neither inbox, outbox, or anything in between showed the email or its attachments. My dad said he also had the emails, but nothing with an attachment. So I'm not really sure where this is coming from or if it is confirmed by Norton, MacAfee, etc. And I'm too busy looking at VMF and playing at toadgames to look up the facts.

TK

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Those are probably NOT from the VMF. The worm "cloaks" outgoing emails with other addresses it has found in the address book. If someone was infected and had a VMF email addy in THEIR address book, it will use that addy as a "From", when it actaully isn't....

Someone on VMF DOES have it though, as I was sent about 120 copies in the past 12 hours... :: You just can't tell WHO it is REALLY from though.

SoBig Worm Info

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Yeah, this one is nastier than last weeks as it's taking advantage of mult-threading - so it's spreading like wildfire - the real danger here is that even without being infected, mail servers and pipes are filling up with e-mail notifications and bouncing of infected messages...

-bob

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
So far this morning the SoBig virus appears to be more rampant than the Blaster virus from last week. My techs ( I own a computer networking company) are scrambling to take care of our clients today.

Repeat after me: I love my job, I love my job, I love my job..... ::

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The mousetraps at work are catching it at work, so far so good.

I'm in the process of downloading Red Hat 9 for personal use. I'm tired of this nonsense!

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Isnt me. SOme virus has been spooking my email address for about 6 months now... everyday I have 10-15 dead messages that say I am sending out viruses... while my computer is OFF.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I haven't gotten any suspictious emails. How strange. I have had several emails telling me to watch out for the viruses, and i've even sent out a few, but i always delete them anyway(just in case, although none have had attachments).
I get all the virus warnings sent out by the HON company, so i know a lot about what to watch out for.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Yep, thats what SWMBO'd was just saying about me this morning "Honey, you sure got that So Big virus, going on!!" Now I know what she was really talking about. ::

I understand it's an Outlook problem, correct?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just got on for the first time today and was slammed with a dozen or so of these too. was wondering what was up cause it said I had sent a virus in an email today but I haven't sent anything. It's always a good idea to NEVER open any attachment unless you are sure of it's source. :p

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
But just for a couple of minutes, right dodgestang?

Sorry, couldn't resist :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I haven't gotten any suspictious emails. How strange. I have had several emails telling me to watch out for the viruses, and i've even sent out a few, but i always delete them anyway(just in case, although none have had attachments).
I get all the virus warnings sent out by the HON company, so i know a lot about what to watch out for.
Sounds like you are on of the lucky ones with a mail provider that actually screens for viruses. It is much harder to catch and spread a virus if it is stopped at your mail server and never gets to your PC. I got about four before we got our mailserver protection updated. None since then. Using RoadRunner at home and never got the first virus email. Someone was on the ball.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
I got about 25 various emails today addressed to someone else but with my spare email address ( my junk mail collector :) ) . It will be like : Jessie Harold <******@netzero.net> ... I went and checked my system and it's clean so someone (hope it's a spammer :) ) that has my netzero address that I only use for spam-type situations (like when you sign up for anything on the web) got infected and is mass mailing everyone on thier list . The emails all were masked to make it look like I mailed it to someone and it was returned as undeliverable , of course the "mail" was a attachment .... nice try Im not that dumb yet ........ gimme ten or fifteen minutes .
BTW , I used a bellsouth email addy for here and have gotten no virus emails from this site .

·
4,129 Posts
Now I am trying to figure out how to get rid of it. Thanks for the link Cloney. :: fd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts