Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and saw that some did cut and some didn't. Exactly what can of worms am I going to open while installing a TKO into my 65?
TIA

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I didn't cut my tranny tunnel and 5 years of aggresive use has had no consequences with my TKO. Not worth the effort, IMHO to go cutting up a perfectly good car. I've broken just about everything possible on my car, except for U-joints... so IMHO worrying about the drive line angle just isn't that much to worry about ::

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I ran a TKO for a year, until I broke my engine. I did not have any driveline issues as a result. The only problem I had was that the knob on the bottom of the tailshaft housing was the lowest point on the car. If I came off a speed bump too fast the trans got a good whack.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Who did you get the shims from? They were mentioned by Fred at Dark Horse when I inquired but he didn't go into any detail. Were they a PITA to install?

Doug

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Very cool then - thanks for the fast reply. I'll be picking some up when it's time for the install...

Doug

·
Registered
228 Posts
Before everyone starts putting shims in to correct this problem, let me point out a couple things. First, later year 'stangs (67-newer) don't have quite the same angle problem b/c their tunnels are bigger. Second, the amount/ability to shim will vary depending on the engine mounts and if the car has been lowered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts