Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Volante steering wheel with an aluminum hub that seems to drop so far down on the steering shaft that it causes the horn to honk when the wheel is moved right or left of center. It does not rub the collar but seems very close. How can I raise the wheel just enough to prevent the honking without losing the turn signal canceling operation? There doesn't seem to be much room to raise the wheel. Should the plate that rides on the contact points be in constant contact with the points? This came about when the horn plate that is supposed to be glued to the bottom of the hub came loose causing the horn to honk intermittently when turning the wheel. After I re-glued the plate to the bottom of the wheel and reattached the wheel to the hub it now honks all the time. There is enough pressure from the spring loaded horn contacts to push the wheel up slightly off the snug point where it wobbles and is very loose. I need to get this '68 convertible fixed soon. Going on the 5th year of restomodding it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same issue with mine, and I thought it was just my old steering wheel, but it happens on this one too. The issue with mine is 1 of the horn contacts in the hub touches both copper (or is it brass?) rings, thus honking the horn. I filed down the one that touches both rings and it helped for the most part, but it still happens every so often. If I have the chance I will take mine apart this weekend to file it down more, but to also send you a picture of what I did.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts