Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of voltage should I be seeing from each connection from my '66's starter solenoid. I can't get my car started. When I turn the key all you hear is a knock from the solenoid and that's it. Thanks for the help.
-Scott

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
When the key is 'off' there should be 12V+- at the one large post.

It's normal to hear a knock or thud when you turn the key to the start position. That's the solenoid making the connection between the two large posts. With the key in the 'start' position there will be 12v at the small 'S' terminal and large terminal which leads down to the battery.

You can use a screw driver to jump the solenoid across the 's' terminal and the lead from the battery. This engages the internal coil just like turning the key. If you're getting 12v out of the solenoid, your starter could be bad, the cable lead to the starter bad, or you battery just doesn't have the juice to spin the starter.

Clean the battery connections.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The starter is brand new I just put it in this morning. The solenoid is also brand new. I was only getting 6.5 out of the solenoid. I'll clean up the connections and see what happens next. Thanks.
-Scott

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
you should see +12 Vs on "S" term when you put ign key (IG) in start position which you probably hae since solenoid relay pulled up as evidenced by sould you heard. when that is pulled up you get +12Vs out of "I" term to coil for better starting and you should get +12vs to starter motor out of big term on term going to starter motor. if that is less that 10 Vs or so you either have bad starter,bad cables, or weak battery. inspect cables for corrosion near ends at battery, solenoid, starter, and groung cable going to block (often overlooked). PM me if questions.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just tested all the connections again and heres what I read. From the big S terminal was 11v, from the small S was 7v. From both I terminals when the key was turned it read 4v. The connections are all fine. Is the battery the culprit? Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts