Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple explaination of my problem: If I let my car sit for 5 days or so I will end up with a dead battery, garanteed.

I dont have quite a stock electrical system, so let me run through it.
Optima Orange Top (Pro starter battery) (has been tested & replaced once)
Pertronix ignition with flame thrower coil
Heart Interface Link 10 volt/amp meter http://www.xantrex.com/products/product.asp?did=199
Crimestopper alarm system
Clarion head unit
1 ot Power feed to the trunk with 2 400w clarion amps & heart interface breakers.

I have tried some trial and error by flipping the breaker to the trunk accessories, so they arent causing the problem. My head unit is just like any standard head unit & shouldnt draw that much. I also have a basic alarm system & the battery will go dead weather I arm the system or not. The heart interface volt/amp meter has 4 LEDs that are on all the time, but that is negligable as well. The pertronix is hooked to ignition hot, so its not getting constant power either.

I have talked to people who leave their car sitting for months without power drain problems

Any diagnosis?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I,d bet its the amp in the trunk,get a volt meter or test pencil & check the amp caseing to a ground. My kids had this problem & for some unknown reason when you hooked the power up caseing became hot.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The the head unit and the alarm for a ground. just because it shouldn't draw much power doesn't mean that it doesn't draw power if there is a short. I would start testing wires with a continuity tester.

Slade

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Some Mustangs I have owned over the years behave just as you describe. They would drain the battery if left sitting. Some did it in a couple of days, some in a couple of weeks, some never did. I was told once that it was probably due to a problem with the voltage regulator or the alternator, but I never confirmed that. I put a battery cutoff switch on my Shelby and I "turn off" the battery when I park it.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
hook ammeter into battery circuit by opening either + or - battery cable and insert meter to measure "stanby current". then you can multiply that by hours and compare it to amphour rating of battery. PM me if questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts