Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 1967 has gone thru two batteries in a month.. I jumped the "a" wire witht the "f" wire at the regulator plug and the battery started to charge.. when I put the igntition to the on posistion without starting the car I put the positive end of the voltmeter into the "I" wire and nothing happened.. so I am assuming the " I"" wire going to the ignition switch is not engaging...is there a way to start the regulator temporarily so I can make sure it is the ignition wire before I rip all the wirring out???? Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would it be possible to run a wire from the starter relay to the "s" field on the regulator in order for it to be excited. Or does it have to come off of the actual ignition switch

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maybe a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates? LOL

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Greetings, Bish;

Your suggestion for running a jumper is valid, yes; but make sure before you do that the "I" wire, light green with red, is not shorted to ground, or anywhere else for that matter. Perhaps you would want to remove the terminal from the connector sleeve before conducting any tests.

I doubt the problem is in the ignition switch, because circuit 904 (light green with red) shares the same terminal as circuit 16A (pink) which is your power to coil.

Most likely a broken wire or bad connector.

Don

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks don. My "I" terminal has nothing going to it.. the green with red strip wire is going to the "s" terminal... also I'm running msd ignition so the 16 wire doesn't go directly to the coil... could I jump the wire from the positive terminal on the starter relay. Or from the "I" terminal from the starter relay.. or the brown wire from the starter relay... hahah its crazy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after I jumped the "a" and "f" wires on the unplugged regulator connector it showed 15 at the battery.. I plugged the connector back in and now the car won't start ..it just keeps cranking..and started once and died within 10 seconds and hasn't started since...did I. Blow something..is that even possible??? This sucks the car was running great and now it won't start..side note.. I was missing the small 2.5 fuse in the middle of the fuse box and I put one in while doing this test.. I've taken it out like it originally was.and still won't start!!!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Greetings, Bish;

Do this test. Turn on the ignition, do not start engine. Check for battery voltage at the circuit 16A wire (pink). Remember, it shares the same ignition switch terminal with circuit 904 (red with light green), and we know there is a problem with circuit 904. If it is shorted to ground, it will also short circuit 16 to ground also. You will then have low or no voltage in circuit 16 and the MSD will not turn on.

If your wiring harness is marginal to begin with, just moving it around doing your tests could result in addition broken wires and such.

To clarify your situation regarding your "T" and "S" terminal; when you have an ammeter, circuit 904 goes to the "S" terminal, when you have an idiot light, circuit 904 goes to the "I" terminal. When 904 goes to the "I" terminal, circuit 4 (white with black) goes from the Stator post of the alternator to the "S" terminal of the regulator. Circuit 4 is also used on newer vehicles to provide a 6 volt source to operate an electric choke.

You have some work ahead of you. I would be very tempted to pull the harness now, rather than later, and make the necessary repairs, but do a thorough test and inspection on the ignition switch and its harness connector first.

Don

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don .. I really appreciate the advice..I think ill pull the harness. And reinstall a painless. Better now than never! Just get it over with

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Greetings, Bish;

Glad to be of help. But, before you start laying down any cash, get the old harness out and open it up. And, remember, you're dealing with two harnesses, here. 14401 is the under dash harness, and 14290 is your main front harness. The problem most likely exists in one, not both. I would recommend a reproduction harness over the Painless.

Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts