Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a suitable replacement rivet for the Top of a voltage regulator? I found a n old Ford regulator. I plan to remove the top and Repaint it and put on the correct stamp then use it on my modern regulator. Was hoping to find original looking rivets to complete to look.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
We used to use little brass bolts to put an old top on an electronic regulator. Looked good and didn't rust.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Weren’t the old caps bolt on and the new one riveted? Mine was at least. I reused the screws from the old cap.

·
Premium Member
12,028 Posts
Weren’t the old caps bolt on and the new one riveted? Mine was at least. I reused the screws from the old cap.
Correct. The cover on the old "points" style regulator was held on with screws so that a mechanic could remove the cover and adjust the points. The new electronic regulator has nothing under the cover that is adjustable so the cover is held on with rivets.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Has anyone found a suitable replacement rivet for the Top of a voltage regulator? I found a n old Ford regulator. I plan to remove the top and Repaint it and put on the correct stamp then use it on my modern regulator. Was hoping to find original looking rivets to complete to look.

You'll also need the right tools to properly install them:

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct. The cover on the old "points" style regulator was held on with screws so that a mechanic could remove the cover and adjust the points. The new electronic regulator has nothing under the cover that is adjustable so the cover is held on with rivets.
My Understanding is the Regulators use on the Generator cars (pre 65) had the screws to allow adjustment, but all alternator regulators were rivets.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 9 of 9 Posts