Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like everything else about this new format, but I don't like the latest-reply-moves-post-to-top format. I've been on other forums with this format , and invariably they are very dry! No doubt this is a more efficient way to get and give information, but VMF has turned into much more than an information tool. Sure, the old VMF resulted in the same questions getting asked often, but the replies are always new and interesting. I'm afraid that with this new format, I'll just see the same old crap every time I log on. Then I'll log on less often, along with everyone else, and we'll end up a forum with all the charm of M&M or Stangnet. The incredibly high posting count is what makes VMF great, latest-reply-moves-post-to-top will definitely cut down the activity.

Think hard about this folks, now's our chance to craft this new forum to our liking. Who's with me on this?

DanM

G

·
0 Posts
I just said this on the old forum.

IMHO especially with the high post count here it is nice to see them " pop to the top" (I should be a poet*LOL*). If someone posts to a day or 2 old thread it does not get lost. Many people probably do not log on a bunch of times a day (OK I am a little slow at work right now) so if they want to post to something that is a few days old, it is more likely to get noticed here because of the pop to the top:)

TJ
66 coupe 302 2v c4 -daily driver
94 GT vert -SWMBO's
93 Aerostar - hauling stuff

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
but I'm willing to deal with it. The bad part about it is some post get more replies while other get very few. This pushes those topics toward the bottom and they don't get the same amount of time at the top of the page. If you post something, it could be pushed to the bottom of the page in 4-5 minutes. Then it's forgotten forever..... Anyone else see what I'm trying to say? Equal time at the top for all!

My 69vert and the VMF parking lot are at:
http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I have not decided which way I prefer yet.

I can see both arguments courtesy of the others.

Hmmm...time will tell.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Maby I'm just hating change, (and that's likely why I like old cars), but I think this sucks. It looks just like every other site on the web. There's crap all over the place on the page, every set of text is in it's own little box, and there isn't a set of colors, (skins) that looks even close to decent. I've turned off the "pictures on posts" and what do I get......Pictures on posts. I'm out in the country on a dial-up 56K modum and this one is SO SLOW as compared to the old one. I'll have to see if it's any better from my broad band at the plant.

I guess I would have been the guy that yelled out "The emperor's got no clothes on!".

Sorry guys, I'm not one to say somethings rosey if I don't see it that way. I appreceate all of the effort from Bob and anybody else involved, but I think we just needed to fix the old one. I forsee this one dying a quick and natural death.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hypothetically speaking...

Someone asks a question....I answer it along a few others and chew on it for our usual couple hours, then let it drop...the original poster comes back later that day or the next and reads our answers and posts some follow-ups....we get those in our e-mail...

With the new system, we can click on the link in the e-mail to take us to the relevant post...so far so good....we post the answer or update....the original poster gets the answer in his e-mail....

OK...now...do we want this new information to come to the attention of the whole forum or do we want it to remain buried 100-200 threads back where likely few will look unless doing a search?

I don't know what's best for everybody...by letting the thread go, the poster will likely get his/her info OK so, in that sense, the forum has done its job...

This is a good topic for discussion...I hope we pursue it...likely Bob can tweek the software to suit our preferences....

Pat

http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/racecar_thm01.JPG

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I don't think this new version will be so quick to die.

There are some things here I like and I know you cannot just "fix" the old version. It is even likely that old VMF is not even supported anymore by anyone let alone Mr.Bob

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261

G

·
0 Posts
I think you have to let the posts just fade away To keep bringing them back to the top,well some never seem to die.
To me thats the one thing I don't like about some of the other forums.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hi Hal,

Where are you?? *G*

I have a feeling the forum may be a bit slow both because of the weather here in the states right now and also that Bob may be serving up both forums from the same server so we're having some bandwidth congestion....I noticed the other forum was a bit slow too today...

I'm using the desert template with small fonts on my iMac and it is quite comfortable for me...

Your suggestion about being able to turn off images is a good one...I use iCab as well as IE and with iCab (which I have on my laptop), I can turn off all images if I want and just view text....much faster in 3rd world countries with reeeeaaaaaly slow speeds...*G*

Keep the feedback coming....Bob needs it...

Pat

http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/racecar_thm01.JPG

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
The only problem I see with the new post to the top is since this is a Mustang topic forum and after seeing several post on the old board pertaining to KIA's and such, or to see a post on "Where does everyone live" by a new poster, and to keep having these type of post coming to the top because the number of replies they generate, would be annoying if you ask me. That is the only problem I see with it.

I don't mind useful post that would keep poping to the top, but it's the useless post that keep coming to the top that would probably keep me from checking the forum as often as I do now.

I say, let's try it for a month or so, and then take a vote on which way we want to go with it. Just a thought!

Doug Whisenant

VMF Exchange
http://pub29.ezboard.com/fvmfexchangeboardfrm1

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I don't post much, but read alot. I think the float to the top with massive threads is good for certain topics. One's often revisited, like rust prevention, engine building, basic welding, chassis restoration and Electrical repair. Why not have sub topics in the general forum like the cars and parts for sale? We could even add a BS subsection. As a technical hardware person I like by library up to date.

John

69 fastback
66 coupe

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Once you get used to it you will too ;)

Seriously, it's nice because things don't get lost as easy. Perhaps someone's post that gets no response will drop down a few screens BUT what is more important:

1.) Having a topic/discussion at the very top that many users are involved in.
2.) Having an new poster's thread at the top selling some parts???

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Don't care one way or another. Either way has its advantages. I'm just glad to have access to the info.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I prefer latest reply moves post to top, but I'd like to see it as a user-selectable display option. The argument about equal time at the top is a good one, but I still would like to know when new information has been added to a previous post without having to search back several days every time I visit the forum.

BP
1969 Mach 1, 428CJ
1965 A-Code Convertible

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
WELL if you ask me, I like the new set up, I lost a lot of questions from being answered because they were blown away on a weekend from multiple postings of others,leading me to have to repost the same question. this way I can update it & more people can see it

everytime I think I am done, I find more stuff to add. WHOO HOOOO!!!!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hi Pat,
OK, did this change or is it just me? I'm now over at the shop on my G4 with the big monitor and it looks waaaaay better. On my old machine at home the line breaks and boxes were thick black lines and now they are barely visible, go figure. Guess I'll have to see if it looks the same tomorrow on that machine.

Where am I?? Well, that machine is at my home and I'm on the end of the end of an analog line that's been there since they invented the telephone...........*G*. 28.8 is the best I've ever gotten out of it and the new format is REALLY slow at 28.8 compared to the old one.

One thing I think the rest of you will like about this new one is the "Check Spelling" button .......... I think I'll get told to use it frequently................... *LOL*

1 - 20 of 40 Posts