Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeehaa! Got the pony back from the mechanic, fresh milled block and heads, a little lumpier cam, 30thou over pistons, fully balanced internals.
Man does she sound great!
Now I am busting to floor it and rev it out. . . but gotta run it in first. It's a bit hard to tell without getting fair under it, but despite dishing the face of the pistons to drop the compression, to run on low octane fuel, the beast seems to have a lot of go-factor under the hood now.
How many miles do you all think I should put on the engine before seeing just how hard she will rev?

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~amcruisers/images/stangsc.jpg

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
No, don't get an alarm yet! *G*

Depending on the oil clearances ring package and valvetrain type, break-in can be anywhere between 1 hour and 10 hours of use for most modern rebuilds...

With large oil clearances, ZGF rings and roller rockers/bronze guides, my racing engines are at optimum leakdown shortly after the cam has broken in, usually within the first hour of use.

For a street engine with plasma moly rings, a few hundred miles of under 4K use with engine rpm's and loads varied is likely reasonable....Keep the high rpms and consistent heavy loading to a minimum for the first 6-8 hours anyway...and no extended idling...

Make sure your carb is adjusted correctly; an excessively rich mixture can impair the ring seat-in...

Done right, you'll have a lot of years to enjoy your new engine....

Have fun!

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
What's the fuel like down there? Typically our 3 grades are all unleaded, and have an R+M/2 octante rating of 87, 89 and 92-94. 10:1 is about the highest compression we can run on the average.

I stopped by your site, nice car. I think I'd get freaked out trying to drive a right hand car on the left side after driving a left hand car on the right side for , oh my God, 28 years.

How's it to get the car converted to R.H. , hassle and expensive?

About 15 years ago, the Austrailin council were running adds up here in the states for tradesmen to work there. Round trip air fair was free if you stayed for X amount of years. Being single at the time, I was really temped. I allways wonder what would have happened what I've missed. Some day I 'd love to visit.

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have told many people this in the past.. Rule of thumb is to break em' in like you are gonna drive em! Other than breaking the cam in for like 30 minutes at a high idle, you should be driving the car like you are going to drive it..

Think of it this way, do you think that the guys who run oval cars and such break their engines in for 500 miles? NO WAY, they are pretty much fresh on the track.

GOOD LUCK - Car looks GREAT!

1966 Candyapple red - A code ragtop

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The octane seems a bit better here than where you are. Basic unleaded is 91, Premium unleaded is 97 and Lead Replacement/Super is 98. But I think they lie about the LRP, I suspect it has a hefty dose of Toluene to make it go further, a few Stations have been caught out.
I have about 500 miles on it now and today while hauling up a long hill it pinged under load about 50MPH. I was quite surprised as the compression was supposedly lowered to stop that. I was running the low grade fuel though, and I haven't checked the compression to see if the engine builder had actually achieved a drop to 8.5 that he was aiming for. The fuel companies recommend 8-9.5 for the low grade fuel. That is why I was a little surprised when so many of you in the USA are happy to run 10(plus) comp ratios when your gas is so low in the octane area.
Anyhow, the builder had to mill a heap off the block and heads so it may have counteracted the dishing of the pistons.

Converting to RHD was a snack, I paid some fool a ****load of cash to do it for me ;-)
They have jigs and templates to get it right. The car handles very well, uses local Falcon parts in the conversion.
Just after I had it done they legalised LHD cars over 30 years old! Typical Murphy's Law. Still, it is safer sitting on the "right" side (in Oz anyway) as I can see oncoming traffic when pulling out etc.

With our dollar dropping so low and the demand for convertibles in USA being so high, I have heard of people shipping them back and making a wad!

What did you miss by not coming to Australia? Only the best place to live on Earth, that's all. (lol)
cheers
chEllo

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~amcruisers/images/stangsc.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts