Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone made a coupler from the U-joint on the Saturn intermediate shaft? This would mate the 36 spline output shaft on the EPAS motor to my mustang shaft.

The goal in mating the Vue EPAS to my early 67 coupe (has the long shaft), is to make it as simple and rigid as possible. Seems the simplest, most straight forward way to marry the two is by a coupler. Most all the posts I've seen maintain the Saturn intermediate shaft.
Does it make sense to have a machine shop cut and weld the splined coupler from the u joint (leaving only the splined section), then welding a standard 3/4 DD coupler to the other end? Or does it make more sense to just leave the U-joint as is and weld the DD coupler to the end of the Saturn shaft?

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts
That is what I did. Cut down the coupler, bored it out to 3/4" and welded it to the shaft. Mine is a 68 so it will be a bit different than the early 67.

There was a member who made a DD shaft by grinding the original mustang shaft down. I will see if I can find a picture.

68Hildago...

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Glad to know someone else went this route. You're the only one I've seen so far that does not have a u-joint somewhere in the mix, which would seem to be the best way to go if one is not needed.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Yeah I also did not think one was needed as everything should be 100% in-line if done correctly. I drove mine all summer without a single issue.

I just helped my twin brother install his EPAS into his 68. He also did not use any u-joints.

People will argue both ways, "Yes you need one" and "No you don't". If you read the entire EPAS thread, there was some saying they have seen examples where the u-joint was wearing out.

68Hildago...

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bacchus203 - I have read your contributions to the "Best $200 Mod" many times as I go through this project... THANK YOU! You were extremely helpful and concise in your explanations (and continue to be). Yes, I plan on doing exactly that... cutting under the dash, filing the Mustang shaft to a DD, then I will modify the U-Joint to retain the splined section and weld the DD coupler to the other end.

Is there any trick to filing the shaft to a DD? Just a file and check the fitment of the DD every now and again?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Bacchus203 - I have read your contributions to the "Best $200 Mod" many times as I go through this project... THANK YOU! You were extremely helpful and concise in your explanations (and continue to be). Yes, I plan on doing exactly that... cutting under the dash, filing the Mustang shaft to a DD, then I will modify the U-Joint to retain the splined section and weld the DD coupler to the other end.

Is there any trick to filing the shaft to a DD? Just a file and check the fitment of the DD every now and again?
Since I was doing it in the engine compartment, I used a grinding disc to knock a lot off, then just a file to fine tune it. It is soft, so just a file would work as well. The only trick is, on the DD coupler, run a file inside the edge a little to cleanup any burs. I kept filing away at the steering shaft to what should have been the DD dimensions and it did not want to go on, then I cleaned up the edges of the coupler and it went right on.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Listen I can't take credit for it but, someone in the massive $200 EPS thread came up with this. The idea is great and requires no welding.

Take the Vue upper u-joint apart and the lower Vue joint apart and combine the two. You end up with the correct spline for the output shaft of the motor and 3/4" double D on the other side of you new "conversion" U joint.

I know the joints are staked but cam be taken apart and restaked.

Larry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts