Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always coveted a 68 Shelby convertible-of course, a real full price one is out of my range and since I'd want to drive it some, be out of the practicality range.

I came across a "clone" on that well known auction site and it's only about 20 mins away. Looks pretty danged nice on the site. Listed at $44k. I talked to the guy says he is selling a whole collection of cars for a friend of his that is in the restaurant biz and they really don't know that much about them and a bunch of other weirdness. Want's to come look and see all the stuff.

Going over tomorrow but I told him that even if the clone is perfect, low $20's tops. No way he replied.

Any opinons as to what a "very nice" 5 footer Shelby clone would be worth? High, low, med.

Thanks.

J. Boggs

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Everything is going to vary by local conditions, of course, but I'd say that you're closer than he is. I'd ballpark mid-twenties.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Think I saw that "auction" too. Figured the seller had been smoking something! I've watched the sales on the 68 clones for about 2 yrs now ..... never seen anything go much over the mid twenty's yet.... And I've seen some very nice examples. On the flip side , I have seen a couple of the "real" things bargin priced in the upper forty's....

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Not only is he cloning a 68 Shelby 'vert, but he's also attempting to clone the 68 Shelby 'vert price!

Too much $$ at $44k.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Everybody has their ideas about what something is worth and what is desirable; if you want a Shelby clone, then work on deciding what they are worth to you considering condition. Doing a clone in fully restored condition from scratch may very well reach unrestored real thing prices or more. Remember the addage, buy the best condition possible. In todays market a primo clone may be worth more than $26,000; maybe $36,000.

I hope this somehow helps.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your post raises a couple of nice points but I am not sure what that has to do with the price of a Shelby Clone. And I do think they are stretching things a bit. But I am starting to see them from a slightly different angle.

J. Boggs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts