• Haha
Reactions: kdj70 and Jeff351w

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang GT. 11.898 @ 113.646, all motor, three pedals
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Back to the topic (ahem) 😜
After initial/baseline tuning of the PCV valve, I got a little carried away (Lol) with stuff I’ve been meaning to do, so I haven’t yet done any test ‘n tune. It might be another day or two, but I’ll update with more PCV data when I can

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
I know I sound like a wise ass now, but negative pressure doesn't exist. I know what is meant and I used to say it too, until a teacher pointed out to me that it was wrong.
When people speak of negative pressure (or vacuum) they are speaking in relation to the datum of 1 atmosphere.

Until a few years ago there was no such thing as negative temperature (< 0 Kelvin). We use negative temps all the time due to where we set the datum.

·
Registered
43,930 Posts
Come on guys, we all know the only really important question is, "What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?"
If their wings ain't flappin' it's 32 feet per second, per second....

But how much does a hen way ?
"About two and a half pounds".

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Yes. The speed of the air, in feet per minute, times the volume of the air, in cubic feet, is going to equal "CFM" or Cubic Feet per Minute.

FWIW, not "mad" at all... maybe CRAZY but not mad. lol. Enjoy a theoretical discussion about hot air, when it doesn't involve politicians.
Well then, since Woodchuck enjoys it so much :D

Strictly speaking, speed of air [ft/min] x volume of air [cubic feet] = something in [ft^4/min] but I'm sure you meant speed of air [ft/min] x flow area [sq ft] = volume flow [CFM]

The flow through the PCV valve is a function of the flow area and the pressure difference over the valve. A high air flow velocity through the carb and manifold does not necessarily create a low pressure at the PCV valve exit. Unless it is positioned in a low pressure wake area, which is possible.

When people speak of negative pressure (or vacuum) they are speaking in relation to the datum of 1 atmosphere.

Until a few years ago there was no such thing as negative temperature (< 0 Kelvin). We use negative temps all the time due to where we set the datum.
I know, hence the "wise ass" comment ;)

·
Registered
43,930 Posts

Strictly speaking, speed of air [ft/min] x volume of air [cubic feet] = something in [ft^4/min] but I'm sure you meant speed of air [ft/min] x flow area [sq ft] = volume flow [CFM]

The flow through the PCV valve is a function of the flow area and the pressure difference over the valve. A high air flow velocity through the carb and manifold does not necessarily create a low pressure at the PCV valve exit. Unless it is positioned in a low pressure wake area, which is possible.

Yes, you are absolutely correct! I should have said the flow area, in square feet. On the other hand, any air passing over an orifice is going to induce a low pressure area. Think sandblaster gun or siphon-cup paint sprayer.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Yes, you are absolutely correct! I should have said the flow area, in square feet. On the other hand, any air passing over an orifice is going to induce a low pressure area. Think sandblaster gun or siphon-cup paint sprayer.
Bart's goin' all Bernoulli on us. :)

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang GT. 11.898 @ 113.646, all motor, three pedals
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·

I’m frequently told I’m a “wise ass”. To which I always respond “it’s better than being a dumb ass.” 😜

61 - 80 of 101 Posts