Vintage Mustang Forums banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang GT. 11.898 @ 113.646, all motor, three pedals
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
‘Drain back’ catch can… Ive never used (or seen) that 🤷

Ok so I guess we have the info we need?? So what catch can will be a good one??
Specific to plumbing a can in-line between PCV valve and manifold: I use a Moroso sealed accumulator/catch can. The vented cans (have a tiny air filter on top) will draw in air and that’ll throw your fuel curve out the window. This is the can I used, but Moroso has other mounting options (the cans themselves are essentially the same). Just do a search for Moroso air/oil separator. Somewhere on W/E Wagner’s website they list a Moroso part number as a recommendation.

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
I started this thread within a relatively narrow scope (lots of camshaft and rpm). With that in mind, here’s some initial impressions:
  1. Tuning capabilities of this valve are endless.
  2. You can dial in some idle air bypass without having to buy a $1200 carburetor or messing with a crude/unreliable IAC
  3. NO MORE oil leaks, hallelujah 😎
  4. There’s more, but I’m keeping that close to the vest for now 😉
Let’s just say this: I‘ve wasted a lot of time and money screwing around with (essentially) one-size-fits-all OE type PCV valves. I have a box of 10 or 12 different valves that I’ve messed around with, some I’ve modified, none of which have worked worth a damn. M/E Wagner is a family owned American company that brings a quality product to the market for a fair price. $130 for a PCV valve isn’t cheap, but it’s nothing compared to the time and money previously wasted. I regret not doing this long ago 👍

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Ok so I guess we have the info we need?? So what catch can will be a good one??
You may not need one. I am running a vintage set of standard Cobra valve covers that have a sizable baffle and find no real oil consumption through the ME Wagner PCV valve.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
‘Drain back’ catch can… Ive never used (or seen) that 🤷

Specific to plumbing a can in-line between PCV valve and manifold: I use a Moroso sealed accumulator/catch can. The vented cans (have a tiny air filter on top) will draw in air and that’ll throw your fuel curve out the window. This is the can I used, but Moroso has other mounting options (the cans themselves are essentially the same). Just do a search for Moroso air/oil separator. Somewhere on W/E Wagner’s website they list a Moroso part number as a recommendation.
That link to the catch can your using does not work..

·
Registered
43,930 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Arizona, you have a pic where you mounted it? I like that one as it smaller than a lot of the others..good choice
I‘ll post a pic a bit later today, I have my hands full in the kitchen at the moment

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm using one on a dart 347, 7000 rpm, 8" of vacuum at idle.

Did you end up using an air/oil separator? I didnt bother. I've had the manifold off a couple of times, no evidence of blowby in the intake at all.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I'm using one on a dart 347, 7000 rpm, 8" of vacuum at idle.

Did you end up using an air/oil separator? I didnt bother. I've had the manifold off a couple of times, no evidence of blowby in the intake at all.
Absolutely yes on the air/oil separator, especially for deals like ours (mine is similar to yours). With the crap gasoline I’m stuck with (91 octane 10% ethanol) I have to do all I can to keep oil out of the intake tract. Oil vapor is low octane/low BTU so the presence of any of that crap dilutes and degrades the air/fuel charge. I even have to run only 32-33* timing because my fuel sucks 🤬

Next time you have the intake off (or remove the carburetor and use a bore scope) look carefully at the back sides of the intake valves. You’ll see evidence of oil on cylinders #4 and #8 whereas #1 and #5 will look clean as a whistle. Oil won‘t necessarily deposit on the insides of the plenum and runners, especially on deals like ours where cleaning and maintenance is frequent and detailed.

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Arizona, you have a pic where you mounted it? I like that one as it smaller than a lot of the others..good choice
I don’t run a heater/blower motor, so this was a convenient place to put it. One of our members (Caper50 maybe?) put his on the inside of the passenger side apron (just outboard of where mine is) and used the hood hinge bolt holes, but he did fab his own bracket to make that work.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

81 - 100 of 101 Posts