Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I stopped by the bodyshop last evening. To recap, I had dropped off the car on Monday for retouch work. I had asked the owner (he also lives down the street from me) if Friday (today) would be a problem for getting the car completed. Of course, his answer was, sure, no problem. I also had stopped by on Wednesday AM. Guess what, no work had been done! Still, his answer was we're going to get the rocker panels sprayed today (wed) and we will have it done 'no problem' by Friday. Well, Last night, I stopped by, and lo and behold, they had the car in the spray booth, but nothing other than on a huge jack under it. I will be calling the shop this morning to ask "When should I come and get the car?".

It's really frustrating when people tell you something, and don't deliver. especially when I had asked him three times, and delayed dropping off the car for a week! Bodyshops appear to fail in this area way too often. I would pull the 'trailer - let me have my car, I am taking it to someone else who will get the job done CAMachinist tactic', but I don't want to spend any more money and start the process over again with someone else.

Anyhow, last evening, I got on another burner, rebuilding the Master CLutch cylinder and slave cylinder on the Alfa Romeo (1988 Graduate - it's been a great car). Got that all done by 9:30, and was in the process of bleeding the air out when the clutch pedal went dead (really floppy). After close inspection, the arm for the clutch master cylinder arm from the pedal broke off the shaft! I spent the next three hours pulling the pedal assembly and inspecting why it broke. The arm that actuates the clutch master cylinder is welded to the end of the clutch pedal shaft, and the end of the shaft/arm broke right at the end. As far as a solution goes, unfortunately, there is no Alfa Romeo board of any sort, so I am stuck with contacting local repair shops. Looks like my plate is still full, but no Mustang on it right now.

This too shall pass...

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45832220.gif

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
No doubt, waiting sucks. I'm really impatient by nature (not a good trait for someone restoring an old car).
If a job is going to take 6 months, I'd rather be told that than expect the car back in 6 weeks.....Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you've got your statement backwards, no? I would rather be told it was going to take 6 months, and get it back in 6 weeks, way early!

By the way, I spoke to the owner this morning, and he is promising it back this evening! We shall see.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45514503.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts