Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously looking at this car, and was hoping for some feedback on wether or not this is a good purchase (it's going to be another $775 for shipping). http://cars-on-line.com/69must8530.html
I'm looking for a dependable daily driver that's not a money pit. I'm 17, and this is a graduation present, so I want to make it a good one. Any tips on buying would be greatly appreciated. (by the way, this is my dream car!)

·
Registered
680 Posts
The car doesn't look too bad, but, sounds like it is TOO cheap, to me. You might want to try to get someone from here on the Forum to take a look at it for you. If someone is close, they might run by and check it out for you. I would be afraid of a rust bucket....When someone advertises a "new radiator cap" sounds like he can't find to much to brag about, but, this is just my opinion......
If nothing else, I would look at having a professional Appraiser check it out. It will cost you a little cash, but, may save you a lot of cash later......
Good Luck...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay its a 69 Sportsroof (fastback name was dropped). Looks good in a pic but YOU need to see it. Unless of course you can stand the financial hit when you find the possible things wrong with it. Remember its a 34 year old car. They don't last forever with original equipment (concorse withstanding of course) hence the new carpet (water damage, hiding rust) bragging about changing oil and filters is not a selling point since that would be the first thing I'd change anyways after purchase.
Spend the shipping cash and go see it, maybe trailer it home if you don't trust a long initial drive in it. It is a old car and it will require MONEY to keep it going. Be prepared but also go with your gut. Sometimes the heartfelt purchases are the best even if they don't make monetary sense.

Ask me how I know. Look at my money pit./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, that's what i thought. It did sound a little too cheap. I can't go see it, however. It's in ca, and I'm in virginia beach. The best I could do is probably get an appraiser to check it out. I just e-mailed him asking if it was reliable, what mileage it gets, and to see some pics of the interior. Thanks for your help, guys.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
With a 390 under the hood, gas mileage shouldn't be your biggest concern! If it is, then keep looking.

Plus, I believe Lemon-Busters offers an inspection of older cars.

I agree with all said so far. Too cheap, and the seller is bragging about insignificant maintenance.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Beyond what the others have mentioned here, there are a few red flags for me. The picture on the top appears to be a different time period than the right bottom photo, since that one appears to show a side-exit exhaust that isn't present on the top photo (or that I can't see anyway). Looking at the lower portion of the windshield, there is either a strange reflection or there is a hideous-looking dash cover. Also, no pictures of the interior even though the carpeting and "seat covers" are new. As others have said, this one requires an extremely careful inspection.

·
Registered
757 Posts
It does not look "too cheap". Not all fatbacks in good conditon sell for tens of thousands of dollars. You need to ask the right questions, and listen to the responses, have someone from the board look at the car if possible. If this is your first classic Mustang..do not buy it long distance unless you know what you are doing. One thing about Ca. cars I have found is that they are usually in very good mechanical condition if the owner drives the car every day. The cosmetics are usually worse than you think and the glass, rubber and seals are usually bad too. BUT, the bodys are nice, and they usually run good...since the PO, had to mantain it to drive. Buy lots of Mustang books, read, study, look at cars...and then buy one locally. Buy one you can sit and feel and drive to see if you will like driving these old rattle traps!!

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts