Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1969 mustang fastback and am in the process of getting some body work and a paint job done but while researching some things have seen some other stuff I like, as we all do, but have not been successful in finding a way to get them other than have them custom made which is not an option because of price. I am attaching a couple pics and they are both a little different so not looking for the exact same thing but if anyone on here would have any ideas of some where to get something similar.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I did a 10 minute google search and couldn't find crapola for a 69 besides the stock style chin spoiler. There is all sorts of people making stuff for the 65-68 Mustangs but it stops there. I wonder why?

If you do find somebody making a modified front spoiler/bumper it should make a noticeable difference in high speed aero with your Mustang. At least, it did on my 67.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Hmmmm, where to buy an off the shelf custom piece.
If you can't start from scratch start in the junk yard and go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
exactly the same result I had. 65-68 I could find fairly easily. But for some reason 69 is left by the wayside. Anyone know if a 68 can be Easily modified, and when I say easily I mean I don’t own metal working equipment or a welder, to fit a 69. Although, I did take a welding class in high school 32 years ago so I’m sure I would still be really proficient enough to do custom metal working and welding. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm, where to buy an off the shelf custom piece.
If you can't start from scratch start in the junk yard and go from there.

It wouldn’t need to be on a shelf or custom. If I found a factory one lying on the floor I would be happy to use it as well. But unfortunately I haven’t been that lucky....However, when you say start in a junk yard I was wondering if there is another vehicle that was close enough that I could make it work. Do you know if any of the modern stangs are close enough they would require minor mod that someone could do themselves. Do you have any ideas??

·
Registered
738 Posts
Factory what? Valence and maybe the chin spoiler? What part of the world are you in?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Up to 69 are popular for two reasons, the volume of cars and Eleanor. Which means lots of custom parts. After that it drops off significantly as you've found.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
If Mickey Thompson can do 150 mph in a 69 Mustang without a chin spoiler...

·
Premium Member
11,776 Posts
I would venture a guess that there are options for the '65-'68 Mustangs because Shelby actually raced them and made parts for them. Ford raced the Boss 302 in '69/'70 and that's why the chin spoiler is available for them. If it doesn't appeal to you then get some foam and fiberglas and go to work.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The front valance on that car cost lots and lots (and lots) of money to fabricate. And the builder has talent and time far beyond what you might find in your neighborhood body shop. No way to duplicate this for a few hundred bucks. There are cases where a body part from one car can be modified to use on another. Maybe someone knows. Your best bet might be to modify a fiberglass Shelby R apron for an earlier Mustang.

r valance.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 1969 mustang fastback and am in the process of getting some body work and a paint job done but while researching some things have seen some other stuff I like, as we all do, but have not been successful in finding a way to get them other than have them custom made which is not an option because of price. I am attaching a couple pics and they are both a little different so not looking for the exact same thing but if anyone on here would have any ideas of some where to get something similar.

View attachment 739243

View attachment 739244

View attachment 739243

View attachment 739244
I am also in the same situation as you I have even contacted ring brothers about there 1969 mustang dragon front end but they will no longer sell these because they said the molds are bad I’m going to find or build one myself in the near future let me know if you find anything if you want email me [email protected] and maybe we can figure this out

·
Registered
901 Posts
i know itsnot the same but maybe will give you a idea. i am making one for my 65. i have 2 of the shelby R aprons. on i am leaving original for street driving, the other is being modified similar to the pic of the red 69' pictured above with a aluminum sheet splitter. I will post progress on it when i get started on actually building it. im waiting to find a sale online for the aluminum that big of a 3/16 sheet needed is not very cheap lol. but shaping fiberglass is very simple process, its just messy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts