Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm new here and an old guy, so take it easy on me. You have probably heard similar stories before, but here goes. I bought a 1969 Mustang while I was still in Vietnam. When I returned in May 1969, I went with my Dad and picked it up at Jim Cordes Ford in Waterloo, IA.This was later Crossroads Ford. The Mustang was a Black Jade/black interior Sportsroof with 351W (290hp ?) with 3 speed automatic. I wanted the sleeper look, so I didn't go for the Mach I. It even came with dog-dish hubcaps. It was titled in Black Hawk County, Iowa. I later traded it in Hampton, VA, about 1 1/2 year later; as a nod to becoming a new father. I have always missed that car, and would buy it back in an instant if I could find it. And that is why I am on this forum. I have never owned another Mustang, but have missed that car until this day. I am asking for any guidance or assistance that you can provide to aid me in finding the '69. It likely was crushed long ago, but I would definitely like to find out what happened to it. I look forward to any response you can provide.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Or a plate? You might be able to trace back the owners if you knew a VIN or plate number. The issues are several... the biggest of which in my opinion being that even if you found the exact car in the exact same condition you sold it in years ago, how would you know it unless it had the same plate on it or you remembered the VIN? That's probably the best outcome you could have. The likely scenario is that the car has probably exchanged hands at least a half dozen times, or more, in the 50 years the car has been around, if it is still around. It could've been totaled or crushed like you said, or the car has been re-painted a couple times over the years and you might not know it's your car that's for sale unless you see the VIN. Not saying it's impossible to find but sadly it's probably not likely you will find it. And even if you did, the owner might not be interested in selling it. When you traded the car, was it to a dealer or private party? If it's a private party and you remembered the name, address or some sort of information from the buyer you might get lucky that way. Maybe you'll get lucky and it's only gone through one or two owners in that time, you successfully track them down and the owner is willing to sell it to you... who knows?

·
Premium Member
12,345 Posts
Another possibility- Kevin Marti has all of Ford's production records from 1967 forward. Since you know the selling dealership and the date you bought it perhaps you can provide him with all of the details you remember about the car and he can search his Ford records and come up with the VIN. I don't know if Marti even does this and I'm sure his price to do so would not be inexpensive. But if you're really serious about it you can ask him.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I wanted to do the same trying to find my moms 70 Grande with no information other than my memory, I went on Kevin Martin site and filled in all the information as she purchased it at Newins Bayshore ford new, low and behold on New Year’s Eve a package was delivered to my house and they were able to reproduce a window sticker along with the VIN for it, i was never able to track it down but e we not as far as I could, good luck!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I’m in a similar boat my very first car that my father purchased for me back in 1986 was a 69 Mach 1M code. I currently know where the vehicle is and I’ve written multiple letters to the owner without ever any responses. It would mean the world to me to be able to buy my first car back especially the memories that I have attached to it with my dad who is now 80..

Good luck in your search. ??

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
We get these questions pretty regularly here on VMF. We always make the same recommendations and point out you can no longer get any info from police or DMV due to privacy laws. But as far as I know, NOBODY has ever followed up and posted, "Yay, I found my old Mustang!". So, if you do find it, be sure to let us know and how you did it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. Great feedback. Thanks to all. I know it is very unlikely to find the Mustang, but it would fulfill a dream. I am going to see if I can get records from the county, since I don't have any of my own. I will also followup with Marti and Kevin Martin. Thanks for confirming that I'm not alone or going nuts.

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
I've never had a new car.
Don't really want one, either.

·
Premium Member
12,345 Posts
I will also followup with Marti and Kevin Martin.
His name is Kevin Marti. There is no Martin.

If you are successful in getting the VIN from him there is a website where you can enter that VIN and it will tell you if the car is still active or not. If you find that it is active then good luck getting any information from the county or state. Somebody posted that website here some time ago and I don't remember what it is.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've never had a new car.
Don't really want one, either.
I bought one. It was a '89 Mustang. It was kinda fun to drive off the lot with a car that only had 10 or so miles on the clock. Other than that, the only other claim of significance would be that I was likely the first to fart in the seat.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,328 Posts
Good luck finding it. Whenever, someone thanks me for my service (US Army 28 years worth) I respond, "Thanks you, but it was my privilege" . Those of us that did serve are 7%ers. I think the clergy is the only calling that is lower % per capita. I yield back.

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
Good luck finding it. Whenever, someone thanks me for my service (US Army 28 years worth) I respond, "Thanks you, but it was my privilege" . Those of us that did serve are 7%ers. I think the clergy is the only calling that is lower % per capita. I yield back.
I think there are fewer in law enforcement than military, and even fewer have done both. I wonder how few have been clergy as well !! I appreciate you All. I hope you find that car. Even if you don't, the thrill of the hunt could be awesome! Do share! Much luck!

·
Registered
492 Posts
We get these questions pretty regularly here on VMF. We always make the same recommendations and point out you can no longer get any info from police or DMV due to privacy laws. But as far as I know, NOBODY has ever followed up and posted, "Yay, I found my old Mustang!". So, if you do find it, be sure to let us know and how you did it.

Good luck.
I bought one of my cars back. But to be fair I bought it back from the guy I sold it to and still had his name, phone number and email address so it was very easy to get ahold of him. That and it was only about 4-5 years after I sold it to him that I bought it back and the biggest reason why he said he sold it back to me was because he was doing another project car at the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts