Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Good points, figured I would try messing with the cable this morning (seems flimsy) and it does not have enough force to push the carb back open no matter how i adjust it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Actually, I've always believed the hot air type to be superior. The electric cycles off according to a set amount of heat in the internal coil, regardless of outside air temperature. The hot air type cycles off based on the heat coming from the exhaust manifold or header. On cold days this will occur more slowly than hot days. Probably not a critical difference, I've driven both.

Of course, fixing your cable should be easy. I've recently done mine, it was getting pretty stiff. Disconnected it from the lever, and pulled the knob out. Lubricated the cable as I pushed it back in. Now it slides dead easy.
This cable is new but maybe to thin/cheap. Will try as you mentioned and see what happens .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
And saved money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Money is part of the equation but seems once electronic choke is hooked up/set it should be superior to a manual choke - prefer to do things once and the best way possible within budget, in no rush here, want to learn as much as I can about all aspects as I work through the car, by the time I'm done hopefully i can help contribute like you fellas!

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Actually, I've always believed the hot air type to be superior. The electric cycles off according to a set amount of heat in the internal coil, regardless of outside air temperature. The hot air type cycles off based on the heat coming from the exhaust manifold or header. On cold days this will occur more slowly than hot days. Probably not a critical difference, I've driven both.
The last Holley choke kit I installed had a provision for hot air. It had a cap with a filter in it that went over the choke inlet, if you didn't have a hot air tube.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts