Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a feeling there are a bunch of these sitting getting dusty. Happy to pay shipping and any other expenses and I’ll return it when I’m done (within an agreed upon time period). Thoughts? I’m notoriously bad at measuring so as long as I can remember which way to face the template I’m good. Of course I only have drills up to 1/2 so I’d need the 17/32 drill to. Or I’d just get to 1/2 and dress it with a round file.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
I have one you can borrow.

I’ve marked it to indicate the correct direction. You can dress the holes just fine.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
22,128 Posts
If a paper copy you can print out will do you, Opentracker has had one posted in the Trade/Free section for years. I never really saw the point of the metal ones. When I drill holes in steel all I ever need is a centerpoint marked with a punch.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If a paper copy you can print out will do you, Opentracker has had one posted in the Trade/Free section for years. I never really saw the point of the metal ones. When I drill holes in steel all I ever need is a centerpoint marked with a punch.
The nice thing about the metal ones is that you can put the bolts back in and then there's no question about alignment. If you use the paper one you have triple check to see if it was printed out to scale and such. One way to do it would have it laser cut out in plastic.

But really it comes down to convenience. And accuracy. And competence.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe 302 T5
132 Posts
The nice thing about the metal ones is that you can put the bolts back in and then there's no question about alignment. If you use the paper one you have triple check to see if it was printed out to scale and such. One way to do it would have it laser cut out in plastic.

But really it comes down to convenience. And accuracy. And competence.
So this is exactly why I have two prints. The first one was all big holes and someone mentioned using pilot holes instead. Now after using the smaller pilot hole template I switched to the bigger hole one bolted up to make sure everything was correct. For most other years it is just a one inch drop but the early years it also needs to move back a hair. I also really took some time in labeling it incase I or anyone else ever needed it again or wanted to print it themselves.

Reactions: swooshdave

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Look at how many shims you are using beforehand. I had quite a stack of shims so I left my homemade 3/16" template in place.
When you auger out the holes make any deviations to the rear and down:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts