Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had this laying around for many years and finally got around to framing it and thought it would be fun to share as I have never really shown it to anyone.
The man who designed and drew it lived close to me and I used to visit him now and again as he was an interesting friend and always good for some stories. At the time he drew this he was working for Chevrolet as a designer, (also worked for many others including Ford, Studebaker, etc.). He showed me this and I liked so much he made me a copy which was interesting in itself as he took the original and some blank paper, rolled them up, put them in a tube and added some chemical. Moved it around a bit and pulled out the original and this awesome copy, which he promptly signed to me.
Anyway, he had some great ideas as to how to keep the Corvair alive as at the time he did this Ralph Nader was trying to put the Corvair in it's grave. History shows us Chevrolet didn't go with this idea, too bad...
You can see it essentially the same rear wheel drive running gear transferred to the front of the car.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Wow! That's a cool drawing, and a cool story. There for a minute I thought you mis-spelled Corvette, but now I see what you mean by moving the engine to the front. This is actually front wheel drive.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
That's really cool. Looks too much like a corvette and that could be one reason why GM didn't go with it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, he was an interesting man. He took a Studebaker Hawk (real car, not drawing) of about '59 or '60 and shortened the whole car to make it a 2 seater. No back seat, no quarter windows and all the proportions were spot on. Looked factory, I wish a had pictures of it. Very sporty for the day. I had a '59 and was going to reproduce it but too many projects got in the way.
He also was the one responsible for designing the upright windshield change on the '56 F100 from the laid back '53-'55's. Said it was to add "hat room". Everyone wore a hat then.
Lived alone and was totally immersed in cars up till he passed in his eighties.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
My late father was a Corvair nut. He owned a dozen and myself in my younger years a half dozen. Sold/gave away the last of his collection 4 or 5 years ago. Fun cars, but at 164 ci way underpowered. The Corvair did teach me one thing that has helped out in autocrossing, with 400+ hp and limited tire I find myself comfortable exiting a right hand corner turning left or vice versa!

Cool drawing and story!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts