Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Mustang Caspian blue coup, disc brakes, equaloc rear, power steering, 289 auto >100k born Nov 64
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think it all comes down to how detailed you want to be. If you have OEM calipers, caliper brackets, dust shields, caliper retainers, that have their correct numbers for 65-66, then I think you are good to go. Brake pads, pistons, boots, and hoses are all, "wear parts" in my book, and are expected to wear out or be replaced on a 50 year old car. I don't think anyone is going to have the info that we are both looking for. The information is probably lost and gone forever. I invest primarily in 65-66 GT cars, thus why I have so many Kelsey Hayes disc brakes. It is my understanding that all 65-66 GTs came with disc brakes. However, correct me if I am wrong, but a K code without the GT package, would be built with drums unless discs were ordered as a separate option. I have a C code 65 convertible, and since it came with all the correct Kelsey Hayes hardware down to OEM bolts, looks like it was ordered from the factory with disc brakes. However, there is really no way of knowing without a build sheet or dealer invoice since we are pre 67 Marti reports. What surprises me, is that these first generation disc brakes are really not much different than new disc brakes produced today. Yeah, 11" rotors may seems mini by today standards, but these old brakes still hold their own.

I couldn’t agree with you more. Basically you are reinforcing what I’m thinking. My issue is exactly what you described. I have everything but the calipers. What I do have, are the replacement calipers, from 20 plus years ago, which are rebuilt, by me. That’s what basically started me to research Kelsey/Hayes. I have been painfully trying to restore the entire car to my standards, which is probably too high for expectations? However, I’m glad I did, because now I have some facts, which are hard to come by, today. Unfortunately,and the reason why I am asking this, question on this forum. Some of the best knowledge/advice I have ever read, since I have owned my Mustang, came from “Mustang monthly” and the forum. That’s 30 years plus, of information. Unfortunately, “Mustang monthly” is now obsolete.
Jokingly, I call my C code coupe Mustang “an almost 65/GT” it’s was made in Nov 64, (Detroit) so it has a bunch of 64 parts, “including paint marks and other identification”. As most everyone knows, there wasn’t a GT made in 64. The difference is minimal. A GT has 4 barrel carb, manifold and fog lights. Mine has some of the options a GT could have had but not all have, ie, disc brakes, power steering and an equal lock 8 inch rear. With the “disc brake option”, it gets the quick ratio steering (HCC AW) steering box).
The Eaton power steering pump that has been rebuilt quite a few times (by me). The byproduct was that, my undercarriage was preserved (that darn thing has always developed a leak, and coated most of the undercarriage), when other Mustangs, got rusted out, I got, original and messy.
I know the entire history of my C code. As I am the second owner outside of one family. It s a DSO 84. It was ordered by his older brother (some corporate big wig?) He (the guy who sold it to me) said “it was special in the fact of the disc brakes and no one sees to many of these with that option”. I imagine, your C code vert, is even rarer?
However, I have no other documentation, than the word of the brother, of the owner.
I remember the day he brought it home. Parked it outside, across the street from me, so I seen it sit there most of the time, until he sold it to me, a year later. I even have a log book of mileage from every tank of gas put in it.
Aa far as technology, I bet Carol Shelby cussed FORD corporate, when they put that cheesy system in the 67s, as an obvious cost containment issue. From my research, the didn’t want to pay Kelsey/Hayes for their obvious copyright patent. And who ever engineered these brake systems, in my opinion, was a genius! So simplistic, that it is still used today! Hell my procharged 2011, GS vette has this technology albeit, very large rotors and a few more hydraulic pistons.
Since you brought up hardware, WTF do the initials on the dust covers mean?
It looks like a “B&H”? Is that Bendix and Hayes? Another question?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Since you brought up hardware, WTF do the initials on the dust covers mean?
It looks like a “B&H”? Is that Bendix and Hayes? Another question?
I'm gonna guess you meant to say "on the dust cover bolt heads" since the covers clearly show K/H.
On a side note, are you a soon to retire Navy guy? Live in VA, pirate flag and of course your screen name. Just curious, kip

·
Registered
65 Mustang Caspian blue coup, disc brakes, equaloc rear, power steering, 289 auto >100k born Nov 64
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm gonna guess you meant to say "on the dust cover bolt heads" since the covers clearly show K/H.
On a side note, are you a soon to retire Navy guy? Live in VA, pirate flag and of course your screen name. Just curious, kip
Kip,
Damn great logical deduction! You pretty much got everything…
😂 yep on the first, yes and no on the second. Yes Navy, no, I’m retired! How else could I possibly have the time to do this otherwise…😂 I live in the Williamsburg Virginia area.
It gets better,.I was going to sell this mustang. When I started my restoration, I discovered “Anchor” bolts, damn near everything has a D on it and it’s Caspian Blue. The “D” I kinda figured that was for me as my first name starts with a “D” as in David 😂 The Anchor bolts, What can I say, my rank had the anchor as the insignia and that just messed me up 😂 Caspian is the name of a sea I never floated on in my 24 plus yeara..I know it all was geared towards me (at oeast in my opinion). Heck, my procharged vette is in the driveway and I haven’t driven it for most of this year…I got bit by the “Mustang bug” in a badway.
Haven’t told my wife yet, about not selling it. She says I have too many toys. I think she’s pissed because it’s almost winter and her “caddie” is in the driveway, not in the garage. I will find a way to get her to change her mind, or I’m going to miss her…😂
I digress, I was looking at a Shelby website, and they mention the brakes and even sell them. Maybe, because they may be rare on Regular Mustangs,but they might be common knowledge with that crowd? There would be no reason for any them to be on here? That’s a small, unique, crowd. Maybe?
Anyway, I appreciate your knowledge and contribution to my questions. In addition, if you by chance come along a set of dust covers and small bolts better then mine, as well as, a set of 64 calipers, I would be willing to pay you for them. I personally wouldn’t have a clue to where to look for them. We had on Mustang junk yard close in Richmond. Went by the other day, and he’s now scraping other types of cars Anyway,
So for now, I have a set of Kelsey/Hays wanabes on my Mustang. Sprayed them as they used to be black. And yes I found out about the 3/8 vs 7/16. Hose openings. I had one that was 3/8 and ordered one. Yep took it apart to put on a 3/8 back half so both were uniform. Just slapped the power steering on it (completely rebuilt by me).
Anyway thank you again Kip
David

Reactions: TB350

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Nice, I had a feeling you might be. Any stars on that anchor insignia Chief? My father was a Master Chief then a Warrant Officer and retired with nearly 26, he was part of the SOSUS program, so after his first four years he was shore based. I loved his time in the Navy almost as much as he did because of the duty stations we got posted to.
All the signs were there, how could you not keep it, lol. I'll keep an eye out for the parts your'e looking for. Thanks for your service David. Kip

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Nice, I had a feeling you might be. Any stars on that anchor insignia Chief? My father was a Master Chief then a Warrant Officer and retired with nearly 26, he was part of the SOSUS program, so after his first four years he was shore based. I loved his time in the Navy almost as much as he did because of the duty stations we got posted to.
All the signs were there, how could you not keep it, lol. I'll keep an eye out for the parts your'e looking for. Thanks for your service David. Kip
kip, like you I was a brat. Pop was in the “Chairforce”. Saw more of the world, by the time I was 16, then most see, in a lifetime.
After enlisting, I fractured quite a few regulations in my career. Always found a grey area 😂 or a wrong party to be at😂 hell, I was lucky to get were I was at. Lots a medals though. Yes, I was a BMC, and yes I probably partied too hard when I was young. I did 22 of 24 at sea. 10 of those were in a marine corps support element. Felt like I was Forrest Gump, for a while there. Pick a spot in history, and I was probably there. The other 2 yrs was a degree program and the only “shore duty” I ever got. At the time I was the only one in my career field with a bachelors. Looking back, I enjoyed training the young folks. I figured it was they, who made it possible for me to get where I was at. In addition, I could utilize my education to affect change and make things better for my folks. But, I really enjoyed screwing with the junior officers, as to their ROI. To me they didn’t have a vested interest until they got to promoted to 04. Unfortunately, the military seems to attract some of the stupidest, on the face of the earth, in leadership positions. I experienced this and vowed to never be like those, morons. That in itself, became very rewarding, and I didn’t have to look over my shoulder when I retired. Being fair, and treating everyone the same. What a concept?
I don’t think I could make it today. Way too sissified for me, as the service has become a social testing platform for some of the most jacked up crap in society. Seems like many folks have “it’s all about me” attitude. I always have thought it was all about the team. You know, the honor thing….
Got my graduate degree afterwards, did the corporate management thing (got promoted a lot). However, it was the most dishonorable job I ever did and I hated wearing suits). After that, and because I invested way early in my career, I just retired at 52. Been doing what I wanted to do ever since. Life is too short to get stressed! Married a women who makes 3x what I make😂 and thus, the key to life. I can spend her money as fast as she makes it😂.
By the way, you don’t have to thank me for choice I made. I appreciate it, but it makes me uncomfortable. Especially in today’s era. I really don’t want to be associated with anything military today. It doesn’t represent anything I know or experienced.
And that being said, I have enjoyed this trip down memory lane. Anyway, I do appreciate all of your feed back, and if you hit me on the personal side, I can give you my phone number just incase you find something for me?
Thanks Kip,
David

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts