Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to get a new floor jack my old one is going & I don’t want to rebuild it.

There are so many out there, so many vendors, and I want a good quality, safe, reliable 3 ton or more floor jack for my classic. I’ll be using it for pretty much anything and everything.

Auminum is nice but again I need 3 tons or more. I do like the low profile ones too.

I know Harbor Freight has gotten better but this is my life we’re talking about.

I replaced my jack every 20 years so it needs to last and it will be worth it

What are my options other than harbor freight as I don’t want to pay an arm and a leg but I want equality….?…

·
Spammer Hammer
11,309 Posts
Bought one for my Super Duty. Turns out, it actually fits under the fuel cell and reaches the jacking post on the 9” in the race car. Win Win!

·
Registered
66 Posts
The big yellow one from Harbor Freight is a quality Snap-on replica.
Daytona™ Super-Duty Professional Car Jack (harborfreight.com)

Snap-on even sued them for being too similar in their opinion.
Snap-on, Harbor Freight settle floor jack case - IP Wire

here is the snap-on version online
3-Ton Floor Jack (Red) | FJ300 | Snap-on Store (snapon.com)

That Northern Tool look exactly the same. Wonder if they are using the same source?

That said, never count on a floor jack alone if you are getting under a car.
and I did read that you said NO Harbor Freight.
Just putting the option out to view or in case anyone else is reading.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I bought this Arcan
1623627400085483084096.jpg
from Costco.

·
Premium Member
7,057 Posts
I remember reading a thread where some of us were looking for one made in USA. I bought a bottle jack recently for use with my trucks and SUVs. My old service station grade rolling jack that weighs over 100 pounds is about on its last leg...uh...wheel.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I have the Harbor Freight 3 ton aluminum racing jack. Have had it for about 10 years and have never had any trouble with it. No problems lifting the F-250 I used have, and no problems lifting my loaded trailers (10k+ total weight) to change a tire. It looks and feels very solid, but as with any jack - use jack stands if you are going underneath!

·
Premium Member
7,057 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
The big yellow one from Harbor Freight is a quality Snap-on replica.
Daytona™ Super-Duty Professional Car Jack (harborfreight.com)

Snap-on even sued them for being too similar in their opinion.
Snap-on, Harbor Freight settle floor jack case - IP Wire

here is the snap-on version online
3-Ton Floor Jack (Red) | FJ300 | Snap-on Store (snapon.com)

That Northern Tool look exactly the same. Wonder if they are using the same source?

That said, never count on a floor jack alone if you are getting under a car.
and I did read that you said NO Harbor Freight.
Just putting the option out to view or in case anyone else is reading.
I bought the big yellow Daytona floor jack, because I had my F150 on jack stands rebuilding the 9.75 rear end, and I got it up in the air with my Maasdam 3 ton, made in the USA, and it failed me. The Maasdam squeaked like murder despite having several grease zerks lubed. It was less than 5 years old. Hope the HF goes longer. I like it and it works smooth and worth it.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
872 Posts

·
Registered
38,218 Posts
I've had my Craftsman quick-pump for about 30 years now.... Of course, Craptsman isn't what it used to be. If I were looking for a replacement I think I'd go with the 3-1/2 ron Blackhawk.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You should not be talking about your life because you should never get under the car while it is being held up only by the jack. It doesn't matter who built the jack. It is still being held up by the o-rings inside the cylinders. That said, you don't need to spend all of your budget on the most expensive jack for home use. Always support the car with jack stands before crawling under to work.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
+1 for the low profile HF. Use it to jack up the car, place jack stands, lower so the car is supported by the jack stands. I usually pump it up again until it slightly touches the jack point and leave it there… just as and additional precaution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
IMHO...

HF Daytona
Torin
AFF

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I have the HF blue aluminum jack. It's been a great jack for years.

I don't trust my life with it because I don't trust my life with any jack. That's why you use jack stands.

That being said, I used it to jack up a hay wagon so I could get the tire replaced. Because I wasn't actually going beneath it, I never used a jackstand. But the haywagon sat supported by just the jack for a few days and it never slipped or sunk.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank u for the overwhelming responses and the good advice for everyone out there. Maybe I should have been clearer I guess all of us automatically use jack stands in addition to the jack as that’s why I didn’t mention that- figured it was a foregone conclusion.

Maybe the HF’s aren’t too bad . It appears they have upped their quality overall a bit over the past 1-2 years

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank u for the overwhelming responses and the good advice for everyone out there. Maybe I should have been clearer I guess all of us automatically use jack stands in addition to the jack as that’s why I didn’t mention that- figured it was a foregone conclusion.

Maybe the HF’s aren’t too bad . It appears they have upped their quality overall a bit over the past 1-2 years

1 - 20 of 39 Posts