Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
872 Posts
Getting under a car even supported by my jack stands and my jack still scares me..!!!
An old trick for safety was to lay two mounted tires on top of each other under the car instead of jack stands. I did that a few times many years ago when I was in a pinch and didn't have jack stands. In some ways it almost seems more stable than a jack stand.

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289 EFI, T5z
486 Posts
So I need to get a new floor jack my old one is going & I don’t want to rebuild it.

There are so many out there, so many vendors, and I want a good quality, safe, reliable 3 ton or more floor jack for my classic. I’ll be using it for pretty much anything and everything.

Auminum is nice but again I need 3 tons or more. I do like the low profile ones too.

I know Harbor Freight has gotten better but this is my life we’re talking about.

I replaced my jack every 20 years so it needs to last and it will be worth it

What are my options other than harbor freight as I don’t want to pay an arm and a leg but I want equality….?…
I know you have be selective about items from Harbor Freight, but my Pittsburgh 3 ton jack with the steel cross beam is one of the best tools in my garage! My car is pretty low in the front, but the low profile jack and beam go under the tie rods and oil pan with no problem. Besides being a jack, I have also made a transmission hoist and differential carriage with it, which also worked great. These are very reasonably priced and mine has worked flawlessly for 3+ years so far (whereas my 3-ton Torin brand failed in less than a year). The HF Daytona brand are also purported to work well.

And as I am sure you know, we don't trust our lives with any hydraulic jack - wheel cribs or car stands are a must before going under any car up in the air.

Rusty Rotor.jpg 20200328_113422.jpg 20210228_121231.jpg 20210228_121155.jpg

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
So I need to get a new floor jack my old one is going & I don’t want to rebuild it.

There are so many out there, so many vendors, and I want a good quality, safe, reliable 3 ton or more floor jack for my classic. I’ll be using it for pretty much anything and everything.

Auminum is nice but again I need 3 tons or more. I do like the low profile ones too.

I know Harbor Freight has gotten better but this is my life we’re talking about.

What are my options other than harbor freight as I don’t want to pay an arm and a leg but I want equality….?…
Look at NAPA. Both my son & I each own a low profile 3.5 ton jack. Dual piston, lift plate has a replaceable rubber pad, wide stance. We've had them several years, no issues. Also use for our F250 & F150 so safety important. Certain things worth the extra $$$ to me.
Similar to:
Floor Jack 3.5 Ton NLE 7916420 | Buy Online - NAPA Auto Parts (napaonline.com)

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
I have a Walker/Lincoln never had a problem and Made in the USA.. Now it's owned by Hein Werner but still made in the USA.
Show the link where you can buy those Walker/Lincoln Made In USA floor jacks. I see re-conditioned "old" units, that's about it.
HW units themselves are "assembled in USA" these days.
US Jack has Made in USA bottle jacks (I have one) and a 4-ton floor jack that's completely made here but those floor jacks
are definitely not inexpensive. Anything over a grand is pretty pricey for a DIY garage.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,689 Posts
I very recently picked up a yellow Daytona 3 ton that includes a 3 year warranty from HF. I haven't used it yet but feel reasonably confident it should last (and Yes, I always use jack stands). From what I read about the Snap On vs. HF lawsuit, both jacks are made in the same factory in China and are nearly identical in specification and appearance. My other floor jack is an orange colored Costco special from more than 25 years ago that cost me something in the neighborhood of $75. It has been reliable and has done the job. The lift height on the Costco jack is not high enough for a number of tasks I find myself needing to do and the added lift of the Daytona should make the difference for me.

FWIW, it has been my experience that Chinese manufacturers give their customers what they want. If you want a product that meets a specific price point, you will get that product manufactured. If you want a product that meets a specific design and quality point,, you will get that product manufactured, but at a comensuate price point. Unfortunatley due to the Walmartization of America, too many consumers focus on on the price above all else and then complain when the product is of low quality/performance. With the yellow HF 3 ton Daytona, the 3 year warranty tells me they have confidence in their product. The many positive customer reviews of the HF yellow Daytona tend to support the idea it is a solid product that should be reliable. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I purchased a HF 3 ton Daytona, in Ford blue, a couple years ago & really like it. I only use it to lift & use sturdy floor jacks & have even thrown a couple rims with tires underneath as an additional safety factor when I crawl under.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
i've had the old silver low profile 3 ton from HF for probably 10 years, and i've had the orange daytona 3 ton long reach now for a bit over 3 years. both are holding up fine. the daytona is a pretty nice jack.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I used this:

Link to Northern Tool - Arcan 2-Ton Low-Profile Professional Service Floor Jack — Model# XL2TB.

This jack is awesome. It can lift up to 24", has a really long 16" lifting arm to reach far under a vehicle and it's got a 2-3/4" clearance so it works well with lowered cars.

The only drawback is that it's heavy...

-Shannon

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
To me very simple
Harbor Freight. Buy it, use it, X number of years, IF-IF seal take a crap. Either reseal, or throw in junk, buy another.
You can buy several HF jack for cost of name brand jacks.
Have a cheap HF jack now for at least 10 years

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
1,029 Posts
To me very simple
Harbor Freight. Buy it, use it, X number of years, IF-IF seal take a crap. Either reseal, or throw in junk, buy another.
You can buy several HF jack for cost of name brand jacks.
Have a cheap HF jack now for at least 10 years
It’s unfortunate it has come to this. We are putting our own American industry out to pasture (I’m guilty too) and I don’t know how we recover.

Chris

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well thanks for all your input I am going to go with the HF Daytona 3 ton rapid pump long reach ..

I’ll be putting it to the test when I do the ball joints on my 97’ OBS Ford F350 4 x 4. 😀😀

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
It’s unfortunate it has come to this. We are putting our own American industry out to pasture (I’m guilty too) and I don’t know how we recover.

Chris
I'm "retired" now, mainly due to this exact situation.
I won't sell junk. Most folks only want cheap. Because of this reality, sorry to say that things have shifted in many market sectors.......... permanently.

Reactions: 67six and Badbenz94

·
Registered
657 Posts
Show the link where you can buy those Walker/Lincoln Made In USA floor jacks. I see re-conditioned "old" units, that's about it.
HW units themselves are "assembled in USA" these days.
US Jack has Made in USA bottle jacks (I have one) and a 4-ton floor jack that's completely made here but those floor jacks
are definitely not inexpensive. Anything over a grand is pretty pricey for a DIY garage.
heinwerner-automotive.com Some parts made in china, Made and tested in the USA.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The big yellow one from Harbor Freight is a quality Snap-on replica.
Daytona™ Super-Duty Professional Car Jack (harborfreight.com)

Snap-on even sued them for being too similar in their opinion.
Snap-on, Harbor Freight settle floor jack case - IP Wire

here is the snap-on version online
3-Ton Floor Jack (Red) | FJ300 | Snap-on Store (snapon.com)

That Northern Tool look exactly the same. Wonder if they are using the same source?

That said, never count on a floor jack alone if you are getting under a car.
and I did read that you said NO Harbor Freight.
Just putting the option out to view or in case anyone else is reading.
I have the harbor freight low profile one that they got sued over and it works very well. I also never trust a Jack

·
Registered
9 Posts

Daytona 3 ton from Harbor Freight is a good choice!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts