Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have received (very vague) info that the ownership of this forum (and many others) is going to do some kind of major upgrade and/or "moving" the forum in the near future. Represented to us as "upgrading". Those of you who have been through something similar before already know that there's a good chance mass destruction will ensue. Crashes, logouts, passwords evaporating, pictures and links nullified, wailing, gnashing of teeth, etc. Or it might be all candy and roses and everything will work right on the first try and all the membership will absolutely love it and not complain about every single change made. And if you believe that...

Folks, batten down the hatches. October 22, 2019. Expected time and date of impact... ahem, rollout ....now expected to be-see below..

Re-edit, nope they've started mixing up stuff already. 7PM EST October 23.

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And at least one user has been affected and unable to login. Changes to the system are the only things we can see to blame for his issue. If there's one there will be more. Judging by the number of views this sticky has gotten so far (NOT many), a lot of people will be caught unaware.

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some users report they have lost the ability to post in the classified sections. Local moderators have lost their power (temporarily?) to help with that at all.

·
Registered
801 Posts
This reminds me of when Microsoft had their own voice/text service, which sucked, and was in direct competition with Skype, which was pretty awesome. Then they bought Skype. Then they made Skype look like the other Microsoft utility, so everyone left.

The format is a lot harder to read now, and while visually 'cuter', I've got to say, if this is the final setup, it's pretty horrible. Hopefully the "improvements" take a different route before long, and this isn't what we're stuck with!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I’m okay with it so far. Navigation seems faster on my iPhone.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
This reminds me of when Microsoft had their own voice/text service, which sucked, and was in direct competition with Skype, which was pretty awesome. Then they bought Skype. Then they made Skype look like the other Microsoft utility, so everyone left.

The format is a lot harder to read now, and while visually 'cuter', I've got to say, if this is the final setup, it's pretty horrible. Hopefully the "improvements" take a different route before long, and this isn't what we're stuck with!
Agreed, the new look is bad.

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The overall look doesn't suit my taste either. It also doesn't help that it's basically now a rubber stamp of every other Autoguide forum. No personality at all.
Fonts are small and thin, with the bright background it is indeed hard to read. Perhaps they don't realize the median age of the average VMF member nor how people of a certain age have issues with small print. Maybe we can adjust things?

·
Registered
74 Posts
On the "old" format, there were "Previous" and "Next" buttons at the bottom of every post so that you could go to the next post. These seem to have disappeared, and replaced with a "Read More..." button, which takes you to the forum index. Any chance we can get the previous and next buttons restored?

On the "plus" side, I'm getting about 1 second response time as opposed to 3 to 5 seconds before the change.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
If you're on a desktop hitting CTRL-+ (control and the plus key) should make the text larger. Hit it a few times to keep making it bigger.

Works in Firefox and Chrome and should at least help until everyone can dig around the settings and see if there's a font size option.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I can see why readership is declining and now that it's a lot harder to see what is current or old, what is posted and the snip-it's of each post is gone, I doubt if I'll be using it much more. Was a daily ritual but not it's too hard to see what's current, what's older, what's the basic theme and where things are located, I can't justify the additional time in trying to figure out what I'm looking at. So what was wrong with the old system. other than that declining readership? THIS sure won't increase it any and I'm already one of those lost to this "whatever it is". I just can't see one portion that qualifies as an improvement, more like an obstacle to reading and searching. I wish you guys the best of luck but it'll be awhile before I check back in to see if there's any "improvements". And a little warning would have been nice!

·
Registered
9,732 Posts
The overall look doesn't suit my taste either. It also doesn't help that it's basically now a rubber stamp of every other Autoguide forum. No personality at all.
Fonts are small and thin, with the bright background it is indeed hard to read. Perhaps they don't realize the median age of the average VMF member nor how people of a certain age have issues with small print. Maybe we can adjust things?
Try "Dark Mode"

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
It'e really just a new skin! Private messages are now conversations. New words for the same stuff. I can't find my subscribed threads as of yet though. Maybe that's a bookmark now? Pages now load almost instantaneously! And I have trophies!

Dark mode will keep you from needing sunglass on the home puter, but the light mode seems to work well on the smart phone.

·
Registered
19,949 Posts
Well I guess I was a bit shocked at first to see a new format. With my tunnel vision I blew right past this post. I have to say so far so good! Before the only way I could read the old format on my phone was the desktop version. Otherwise after my second keystroke, it would lock up. On the desktop version the print was way to small and as you know constantly scrolling across the screen. It was a hassle. Now I can use my phone easily. No problems what so ever that I can see.

·
Registered
9,732 Posts
It'e really just a new skin! Private messages are now conversations. New words for the same stuff. I can't find my subscribed threads as of yet though. Maybe that's a bookmark now? Pages now load almost instantaneously! And I have trophies!

Dark mode will keep you from needing sunglass on the home puter, but the light mode seems to work well on the smart phone.
I like it on both. Aw man my favorite icon is gone the shrug :poop:

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I like it on both. Aw man my favorite icon is gone the shrug :poop:

Cut and paste is your friend! Or you could just be a turd?
Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 7.53.52 PM.png

1 - 20 of 121 Posts