Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out in the shop yesterday and while putting the car up on jack stands I noticed a piece of cast metal that fell off of the stand. I immediately thought that it was one of the teeth on the adjustible stem but on closer inspection it was actually part of the cog that holds the stem in place. If that piece would have failed when I was under the car I might not be here to warn you all. Please go out and inspect your jack stands for cracks/wear in the teeth and the cogs. These were the style of stands sold in Sams clubs, wally world, harbor freight, ect. Worthless chinese junk!! I will be buying new and different styles tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Maybe that's why I always try to use at least two sets of stands or 1 set backed with the floor jack. Even with the extra safety, I still cringe each time I go down under.

Good heads up.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I've never been a big fan of those ratcheting -type of jack stands. We use them in the shop for big trucks, but usually won't be under the truck and it's usually backed by a 22 ton floor jack. I still use the old style post style, held in place by the thru pin. My Grandpa gave me some 35 years ago and i still use them. To me, they are a whole lot safer.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
cmayna said:
Maybe that's why I always try to use at least two sets of stands or 1 set backed with the floor jack. Even with the extra safety, I still cringe each time I go down under.
I am the same way. I even usually throw some old rims up under the frame rails to, to help catch and stop it from falling if it ever did.

·
Premium Member
8,213 Posts
I hope no one is using a sheet metal through pin, instead of a solid pin :( I use solid pins, both in the jack stands, and towing 5 tons behind my truck, with the trailer and load held onto the tow hitch by a pin (course there are 2 safety chains)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.