Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got this fiberglass hood in and i put it on the car and it bows up in the middle like it was stored upright and it saged. Is there any way to flatten this out so that it is even with the fenders? Other than it being warped it fits perfect. Thanks

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got it from mustangsunlimited it is the one that has the 67 shelby scoops in the hood but it fits a 65 the fit is almost perfect but it bows up in the middle like after they make them they are stood up on their ends and is cures like that

·
Registered
521 Posts
You might try taking a couple of 2x4s and clamping one on top and bottom a letting it sit in the sun for a while. Might work, I don't know. I see a lot of FG hoods like that on cars. Thanks for the reply. I'm going to NPD for mine. They're a lot closer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yes you can actually heat up fiberglass with a heat gun untill it is SOFT, you can actually make it very pliable. Heat it up, flatten it out, quench with wet rags.

We did this on an all Fiberglass porsche 911 race/show car we built. Its the only way to correct problems with fiberglass parts.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Are you using springs? On a fiberglass hood these are not normally used unless its steel framed. A prop rod works best. You may try the 2X4 and clamp method and see if it will put it back in shape. If not, I would send it back. If you have to replace it, buy one with steel in it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The springs will sometimes make have a little bow in it. Try taking them out first ;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no springs used i use a prop rod. I forgot to mention that it was already painted. Is it still ok to heat it up? Will it blister the paint?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have heard of some people putting weight on the hood and leaving it for some time. I think it was a week or two. I have never tried it but it seems like it would be easier on the paint if you have already painted the hood.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Try the weight first, it may take two or three weeks. It seems that normal tempature changes from hot sunny days to cool nights will help re-shape the hood. Even warming the engine up will provide a lot of under hood even heat and may help. Careful to protect the paint if the weight shifts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A comon fix on the AAR cuda hoods was to slice the bottom opened and insert a piece of steel running front to back on both edges, it elimitaed hood bowing due to spring tension.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem with my Shelby-style hood. It was high in one area, low in another so I had to make a convex and concave bend. I sliced the rear fiberglass reinforcement channels with a cutoff wheel, wedged open for a concave bend, compressed for a convex bend, checked for fit, then fiberglassed rear to hold without damaging the painted surface. Fits perfectly!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts