Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my 1966 Mustang, it was in Wimbledon White. Years later, we decoded the VIN and discovered it was originally Silver Frost.

I had heard this was a relatively uncommon color for the model year and thought it looked great. However I have also heard that this particular paint code had a tendency to fade over time, often resulting in owners repainting them another color. Is there any truth to this?

P.S. If it is true, does anyone know if modern remakes of the paint do the same thing? I'd really like to repaint it S/F as long as I know it won't fade quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Modern paints are generally better if preparation is correct and quality materials are used, and especially if you keep it garaged, in a carport, or under a cover to protect it from the sun. There are some Mustangs out there still wearing their original paint. My basecoat-clearcoat is 26 years old.

Attachments

Reactions: Mrwalrus295

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Our 66vert was originally silver frost though red when we purchased it. Had it repainted in PPG silver frost in 2004. Base coat and clear look great still. No issues whatsoever for us.
If you want a pic or two just let me know.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Left outside and exposed to the elements silver metallic paints back in the day were the most susceptible to fading/oxidation, no secret there. Modern paints are different though. You should anticipate no problems going with a quality silver frost code match paint job today.

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
True, "back then" a lot of silver anything painted cars had paint flaking off, or severly faded. New paints are much better.

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
Ford used alkyd enamel paints back then. Oxidation and UV damage were both significant factors for all colors.

·
Registered
88 Posts
mine went from springtime yellow to silver frost. Happened before my time but believe the color change happened some time ago. I believe it's basecoat/clearcoat. The color change was done correctly car totally disassembled and the only yellow that shows is inside the trunk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mine went from springtime yellow to silver frost. Happened before my time but believe the color change happened some time ago. I believe it's basecoat/clearcoat. The color change was done correctly car totally disassembled and the only yellow that shows is inside the trunk.

Well now I know exactly how mine would look. My car is a vinyl top coupe as well. I think I'll spring for S/F.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My coupe was Silver Frost from the factory. However, when I got it in 1987, it had already had some bodywork done - it was some sort of dark brown and had bondo flaking from the rear wheel arches (along with all then other typical rust locations).

I had it repainted two years ago with a base/clear coat - it's always garaged.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts