Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a bit confused why none of the repro low-profile Rally Pacs are offered in 1965 Bright Red (only in 1966 Dark Red) and most all rally pac repro dealers describe them for 1966 cars.

tachman shed some light on this and I was wondering if there are any opinions or other knowledge of this question here in the Concours Forum?

Here is an abridged summary of what tachman essentially said:

rrod:

tachman here, first ... the only low profile rally pac used in 1965 was for the k code car, all others used the high profile that said Mustang or Ford on the tach. All rally pacs in 1965 were wrinkle black while 1966 low profile pacs could be any color, matching the interior. Also, 1965 rally pacs that said Mustang on the tach dial were factory installed. 1965 rally pacs that said Ford on the tach were dealer installed. The dealer installed 65 pac that said Ford on the tach were also used on 1965 rancheros.

Hope this helps,

tachman

Any disagreement here with tachman's info? I'm only interested in the history of factory availability of low profile rally pacs in late 65 cars .... not dealer add-ons.

Since I would not like the looks of an all black high profile rally pac on my (actually still my 90 year old father's) non-k code May 1965 Built true GT Conv with Bright Red Pony Interior, I'd either go without, or possibly consider a low-profile 6000 RPM unit re-painted in Bright Red if it did not cost me a lot of points during judging.

Thanks for any opinions or advice. :thumbsup:

RRod

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
For 65, a low profile rally pac would have been available on a GT or a Deluxe Pony Interior car. It was the start of fuel, amp, oil, temp guages in a new instrument cluster. Both packages were part of a first anniversary celebration of the Mustang. They started production of these options in Feb. 65. The formal announcements took place in April, 1965. Have a 3 page feature ad in Life Mag. 4/23.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
As Yelostang stated, the low profile rally pac is for use with the 5 gauge instrument cluster. However, a high profile model would be applicable for a late 65 with the 5 gauge cluster due to the fact that either were available at the dealer during that time period.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For 65, a low profile rally pac would have been available on a GT or a Deluxe Pony Interior car. It was the start of fuel, amp, oil, temp guages in a new instrument cluster. Both packages were part of a first anniversary celebration of the Mustang. They started production of these options in Feb. 65. The formal announcements took place in April, 1965. Have a 3 page feature ad in Life Mag. 4/23.
Let's remember I'm asking about factory installed rally pacs rather than dealer add-ons. The low profile rally pac was not included as part of the GT option and only the Hi-profile version in black was offered as an extra cost factory option according to dad in April 65 when he was ordering the car. He custom ordered the 65 GT Conv with the optional Pony Interior (the Pony Interior was also not part of the GT Option) and it came with the round 66 style gauges and wood grain trim when the car was built in May 1965 and delivered in June 65. Again, the only rally pac factory offered at that time according to the dealer (and per my father who is 90 years old now) was just the high profile black unit on the non-K code cars and that's the reason he remembers why he passed on the rally pac .... i.e. a black high profile factory unit would look crappy against Bright Red interior. Could you please recheck your Life Mag photos to see if there were any color matching "low profile" rally pacs pictured on the Feb-Aug 1965 built 1965 GT's. I have all the original purchase docs and Dad's memory jives with tachman's story.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As Yelostang stated, the low profile rally pac is for use with the 5 gauge instrument cluster. However, a high profile model would be applicable for a late 65 with the 5 gauge cluster due to the fact that either were available at the dealer during that time period.
That is not quite consistent with my father's memory when he custom ordered his 65 GT Conv non-K code car with optional Pony Interior in April 1965 (his memory matches tachman's explanation). I'm trying to double check dad's memory (he's 90). Dad says that the low profile version was not available even from the factory when he was ordering the car in April 65.... just the black hi-profile versions.

Sure would be nice to hear from an expert judge who actually had his boots on the ground during that period to see how many points a color matched 66 low profile rally pack would cost me today on dad's May-built 1965 GT Conv w/Pony Interior?

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Didn't mean to imply that they came with pacs as they were an option. The Life mag pics DID NOT have any rally pac.The GT's had std. interior. The Pony Interior pic was a coupe with Ivy and white interior. Headliner was white with Ivy pinch mldg over doors and windows. Interesting" the full width seat option became avail. also. Didn't say it in ad but only in std interior.

·
Registered
35,845 Posts
Dad says that the low profile version was not available even from the factory when he was ordering the car in April 65.... just the black hi-profile versions.
Sounds like Dad's dealer didn't get the word. Not uncommon. I knew a fellow who ordered a Mustang in late 65, asked for disc brakes, was told no, not available. Well, they had actually been available for months.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
That is not quite consistent with my father's memory when he custom ordered his 65 GT Conv non-K code car with optional Pony Interior in April 1965
First, no one ever mentioned that the deluxe interior package was part of the GT package. I'm sure you already know that both packages had a 5 gauge cluster.
Dad says that the low profile version was not available even from the factory when he was ordering the car in April 65.... just the black hi-profile versions.
So, does that mean that the low profile rally pac Mike Murray's original 10,000 mile A code convertible, built in Dearborn during June of 65, is a figment of my imagination?

Not trying to argue with you, but I'm not sure why you're asking when you seem to already know.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sounds like Dad's dealer didn't get the word. Not uncommon. I knew a fellow who ordered a Mustang in late 65, asked for disc brakes, was told no, not available. Well, they had actually been available for months.
You guys are right ...... I went over to the Concours Mustang Forum and the judges there seem to say a color matched low profile unit on a late-65 will not cost any points during judging as long as you had the 66 style round gauges dash panel.

I just orderd a Ford Licensed V8 6000 RPM Low Profile repro pac made by Blue Oval from Sacramento Mustang that has "FORD" on the tach face and only available in black. I did not order a Scott Drake unit because they do not have the license to put "FORD" on their repro units and I'd have to run another wire through the firewall to the coil, plus they do not offer it pre-painted in 1965 Bright Red (only 1966 Dark Red). The Blue Oval unit requires no wiring out to the coil, but is not compatible with Petronix and other electronic ignition systems, but that's okay since I'm keeping the points in my distributor which work just fine for the 1,000 to 1,500 miles a year my wife puts on the car.

The guys at the Mustang shop currently freshening up the car could carefully build up several light coats of 1965 Bright Red on the new rally pac's black crinkle surface casing before installing it (while they have the dash out for another reason) but I think I'll leave it black.

My wife is now happy about all this and I'm now out of the Dog House. I had told her yesterday that we were not going to put a rally pac on the car because I mistakenly believed a low profile unit would be incorrect for our late-1965 car. She told me she did not give a darn what I believed and it was the Dog House for me until a few minutes ago.

Another close call on the domestic front :shocked:

·
Registered
35,845 Posts
First, no one ever mentioned that the deluxe interior package was part of the GT package. I'm sure you already know that both packages had a 5 gauge cluster.
You might want to rephrase that. The deluxe interior had nothing to do with the GT. The 65 GT had only one scrap in common with the deluxe interior- the 5-gauge instrument cluster, and matching glove box door. Even then, the bezel was finished in black "camera case" instead of the "woodgrain" of the deluxe interior.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I think that anyone who has read the thread will understand the context of my comment. The OP apparently thought that no one was aware that the GT package and deluxe interior package were exclusive of each other.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I think that anyone who has read the thread will understand the context of my comment. The OP apparently thought that no one was aware that the GT package and deluxe interior package were exclusive of each other.
No, I knew you guys would know that the packages were exclusive of each other. By habit from my profession (now retired), I tend to frame all my written questions with relavent historical context, in case future readers may not be as knowlegeable.

I appologize if it seemed that I was trying to insult anyone.

FWIW, someone else suggested I rephase my same orgininal question and post it over at the Concours Mustang Forum and found some additional illuminating info over there too.

BTW, has anyone using a true original Rally Pac tach on the 65 and 66 models ever had starting trouble or other engine issues when their tach failed? The dealers of repro units allege that would be the case, so they use more modern air-core movement tachs requiring a wire connection to the engine coil.

Thanks again for everyone's help :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35,845 Posts
BTW, has anyone using a true original Rally Pac tach on the 65 and 66 models ever had starting trouble or other engine issues when their tach failed? The dealers of repro units allege that would be the case, so they use more modern air-core movement tachs requiring a wire connection to the engine coil.
They can allege anything they like, they did it to reduce cost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts