Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any ideas on getting an original plastic washer bottle back to its bright white finish - getting rid of the 30 years of yellow. Ive tried the bleach routine. anybody have any success let me know

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Something that worked on my 70 bottle was a scotch brite pad and a little elbow grease. But I suppose it depends on how yellow your bottle is. Mine turned out pretty good. Be sure to use a fairly fine pad.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
actually, I am not sure there is a fix as the materal used to make the bottle, if I'm not mistaken, is petroleum based, meaning it is probably turning yellow from the inside out. It would be interesting to see a piece of the bottle cut through to see if the yellowing is just topical or is saturated throughout....

randy

·
Registered
935 Posts
You might try an item I saw advertised on TV the other day. It is an additive you put in your dishwasher to remove the discoloration that sometimes happens to Tupperware and other plastic food containers when stained from food. You leave chili in a plastic container and it will still be stained after regular washing. This stuff is supposed to clean it up. I don't remember the name but it must be new and probably with the other cleaners at the supermarket.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Randy... That's about as helpful as a single legged stool with a missing seat! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Now there's going to be a bunch of grown men sitting around watching soap operas waiting for Tupper-White ads (or what-ever it's called). I sure hope someone knows what the stuff is and posts it... I REALLY ahte watching soap operas... it reminds me too much of my life...

·
Registered
406 Posts
A '68 Shelby I judged at the Stars, Stripes, and Stangs 2002 MCA show had an original washer bottle that looked fairly good for being original. His method to return the plastic back closer to the translucent white was to soak the washer bottle in pure bleach for several days. Now, this washer bottle didn't look as nice as an NOS container, but it was a far cry from the faded and yellowed ones I see all of the time.

Give it a try...bleach is cheap!

Regards,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts