Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
When I moved to WA back in 2001 we had to pay taxes on our new car we purchased in CT. The only reason we did is that we purchased the car within 6 months and had to pay the difference between CT taxes and WA taxes. My understanding (at least back then) is if you owned it longer than 6 months then there would not be a sales tax.

I think if you choose to move strictly for tax reasons you are making the wrong decision. If you still work in OR you will still have to pay their crazy high income tax. If you work from home or already work here that is a different story. I guess you have some time to think about it though. 2017 is a long time from now.

·
Registered
521 Posts
4280 might be in a different situation than you as you stated that you had paid CT taxes on your vehicles. Oregon's lack of a 'sales tax' would trigger a 'use tax' when transferring the title to WA.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Portland is busting at the seams with so many people moving in. Out of state cars everywhere, mostly from CA but other states also. Our housing prices and rent are going through the roof. Are roads are constipated with cars. You have to avoid driving at curtain times. We need a good 6 months of rain to get rid of the sun worshipers!

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
sun worshipers

Portland is busting at the seams with so many people moving in. Out of state cars everywhere, mostly from CA but other states also. Our housing prices and rent are going through the roof. Are roads are constipated with cars. You have to avoid driving at curtain times. We need a good 6 months of rain to get rid of the sun worshipers!

Don't forget the tree huggers and the homeless everywhere on your side of the state.

Troy

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Commercial trucks pay a mileage tax when traveling on roads in Oregon, even if there are no stop offs. Last I heard they wanted to do that with private cars also. Last I heard, they want to attach a device to your car that will report the mileage driven to the state and tax you accordingly. I always wondered why people didn't live in WA and do all their shopping in Oregon, since they don't have a sales tax.

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Commercial trucks pay a mileage tax when traveling on roads in Oregon, even if there are no stop offs. Last I heard they wanted to do that with private cars also. Last I heard, they want to attach a device to your car that will report the mileage driven to the state and tax you accordingly. I always wondered why people didn't live in WA and do all their shopping in Oregon, since they don't have a sales tax.

They are trying the mileage tax on the west side now. It will not fly on the east side. I sell my pellet/gas/wood stoves to a lot of Wa people. They have tried 11 or 12 times to get in a sales tax here. We tell them were to stick it every time. You would figure after being hit in the head 11-12 times they would stop that. But some people you can only lead to water then dunk there heads in and hold them down. Well that's how I think!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
The grass is always greener...
+1

I hear Somalia's nice, and no taxes.

Seriously, Forbes did a list a year or two back ranking effective tax rates across states based on a $50k income. Oregon and Washington both came in strictly mid-pack, Oregon at #35 with an effective rate of 10.10% and Washington at #24 with an effective rate of 9.4%. If that's a big enough spread to fry your hide, well, more power to you. Speaking for myself, I leave more than that difference in tips at my favorite coffee shop. I can think of plenty of other things that aggravate me more.

Forbes Welcome

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know you're limited in how far you can go, because of your business, so probably wouldn't be worth moving. You'd still have to pay Oregon income tax, even living in Wa, for any income earned there I believe, and Wa property taxes aren't that much better than Or. Both Wa. and Or. love reaching into people's wallets for everything they can. I've lived in both states and now live in Idaho (near Spokane). Sales tax is lower than Wa., income taxes lower than Or, and property taxes lower than both (plus we like guns!).

Steve (we've met a few times, but it's been years ago)

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is a lot of money. I'm not sure about other taxes in either of the places, but I'm sure that the reduced subsidy in homeowners tax is compensated in other areas. This seems very unfair, but if you are aware of all the benefits, then you can save the money in other areas.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts