Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use to stick that water barrier paper on under the door panels?
I got new ones from Matt and realized all the goopy stuff in gone from the doors. I wa skinda hoping they were peel and stick or something like that :eek:

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Is it the body seam sealer stuff?

I always left the stuff undisturbed....though I obviously havent repainted any mustang doors.

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
I think we use the black weatherstrip adhesive. Any good quality adhesive (not Elmer's glue obviously ::) should work.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Agree with Laurie. It's a lot like (if not exactly like) the bedding compound for windshield gaskets.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
On my 69's and 70's, it seems kinda waxy and pliable even after 30 years plus......

Youve got my curiousity piqued.....wish I had the 70 body manual right about now.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
As far as I can tell, it's the same sealer as is used on the 60s style windshields. This stuff stays gooey and doesn't harden. This is made by 3M and is called "Automotive Bedding & Glazing Compound" "black" No: 08509.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Just put new watershields on my doors last weekend. We used a black gooey strip adhesive made by 3M. Don't have it with me, for the exact name. Do know that it was made for windows (bedding compound?) Came in a roll in a white box, got it at Kragen. About 10 bucks, one box did both doors and the interior quarter panels.

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
As far as I can tell, it's the same sealer as is used on the 60s style windshields. This stuff stays gooey and doesn't harden. This is made by 3M and is called "Automotive Bedding & Glazing Compound" "black" No: 08509.

That's it, we just did the wife's car. Fun to work with :p

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Hm, the orignal stuff on my '65s are all gray. It also has a nasty tendancy to start oozing from under the panels during triple digit temperature days.

Still, I think the strip caulk used for windshields is what others have used. I used the black windshield caulk in the tube and the guy I sold the '65 ex-parts car to cusses me out everytime he has to deal with it.

I hope the bedding and glazing compound isn't quite so runny when hot... I need to install some more windshields.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Near perfect match is 3M black rope caulk. Never drys, like factory stuff, but is great for this and many other uses. Runs about $8 for a box of around 36 1 ft lengths. Can be rolled thinner or any way you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts