Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what it is called but looking to see if its reproduced for 65/66 verts. It is the channel underneath the quarter and above the wheel well that keeps water from getting into trunk when top is down on convertible. Wraps around the side and goes thru back of trunk panel. Front of it is okay but as it goes around trunk area it is rusted out - gone. Don't see them in any catalogs. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff65/Palerider94/100_0602.jpg

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Dynacorn has to have them since they have convertible out (last I saw pending licensing). But even they don't sell every part that they make cars out of.

Your best bet might be to contact them. Otherwise donor car or making it yourself might be your only option now.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
It is one the worst problems on a cvt. As Heap 64 said, a donor or a fix. Those gutters were three piece and they had lap joints with a hard caulk or whatever. Not made to last this long, your option would be to weld in new metal. Cant tell whether the top piece from the boot snap piece to the decklid is intact. If it is in bad shape, a repair would be easier with that piece off. A repop replacement piece is available and cheap.

Noticed the screws protruding from the inside out. Initially those tack strips were attached with threaded washer bolts. The design of the gutter allowed the use of these, but they get stripped out by installers who choose to use lag type bolts....Crappy!
In the process of welding up a rotted gutter, I welded 1/4" nuts to the back so that bolts could be attached properly. Those long screws in pic look like they could hit the 1/4 panel.
Cleaned of rust, welded where nec, painted, it should be a lasting piece. Did all that on a 66 cvt and it was a PITA but problem was solved. I actually drilled out some spot welds and removed it from car. Was saving the 1/4's so removing made it easier to repair.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[. Cant tell whether the top piece from the boot snap piece to the decklid is intact. If it is in bad shape, a repair would be easier with that piece off. A repop replacement piece is available and cheap.

In the process of welding up a rotted gutter, I welded 1/4" nuts to the back so that bolts could be attached properly. Those long screws in pic look like they could hit the 1/4 panel.
Cleaned of rust, welded where nec, painted, it should be a lasting piece. Did all that on a 66 cvt and it was a PITA but problem was solved. I actually drilled out some spot welds and removed it from car. Was saving the 1/4's so removing made it easier to repair.[/QUOTE]

One area of the back piece is rotted but I can patch in a piece. The hard part for me will be to get curve on gutter. My metal fabbing is a little weak.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
Here's his photo. The outer half of the gutter should be visible, but it's just plain gone:

You can see the gutter assembly here:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts