Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2014 the wife and I had some carpet replaced with hardwood. Recently, I noticed some buckling in the hallway. I called the installer and he said that it most likely was caused by water. I was doubtful as at a glance there was no damage in the restroom (half-bath). I crawled under the house and sure enough there was water puddled on the plastic in a few places. Then, upon close inspection we were able to detect damage in the restroom. About midway through Saturday the hardwood in there began to buckle. I had already turned off the water to the toilet. It seems as though the water was coming from the supply at the tank connection. There was some flash around the hole in the tank which I removed and put a new gasket and also a coating of sealer. The leak continued. I suspect that there is a hairline crack in the tank and the water has been running, invisibly down the supply line and under the hardwood. There has never been any water puddling in the floor at all. I am told that if it is determined that the leak has been present for a number of weeks (they're not real clear on how many, surprise, surprise) any claim will likely be denied. If the repairs are only marginally greater than the deductible, that's fine. But, if I'm looking at $5K in repairs I intend to file. I don't see how a claim can be denied when there was no visible water to indicate that there was a leak. Even in the area where the source passed through the floor, there was no accumulation. I pay premiums on five cars and two homes. I'm going to somewhat unhappy if they try to blow me off.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
30 year agent here.

there are several factors involved.

1. do you have water damage coverage on your policy?

2 do you own the home or is it an apt or condo. makes a difference on who's responsible

3 true. insurance companies do not pay for the most part on old damage caused over time.

the trigger here is the date you noticed it. yes. it could have been leaking for quite some time. BUT you just noticed it NOW. so you your coverage should not be jeapordized.

iow you should not not be penalized for that.

YES. file the claim on the date you noticed the buckling. that will be your date. of loss.

Id also recommend that you hire a public adjuster. there may be some residual damages that you dont see like mold.\or that the water traveled to a corner you have not looked at yet nor that any damages surfaced yet.

imo you need to have private representation. let your adjuster hash it out with the company.

youll pay a 10% fee but it will be well worth it in the end.

Reactions: rpm

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,357 Posts
Check your fine print. Allstate would pay for my floor (they said) if a pipe "burst" and flooded it. However the rather slow and longer term damage the wood floor from a leaking refrigerator ice maker line is NOT covered. Our floor also started buckling before we suspected a problem. The adjuster that came out to inspect the damage made it pretty clear they weren't paying. At all.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I'll be curious to see what happens. I too just noticed a small spot on my ceiling that was slightly yellow on a white ceiling. I assumed water had blown in the roof vent, and that a shot of Kilz would fix it right up. No big deal. Now a few weeks later the spot has grown 4x, is dark in the center, and I have a few more spots on the ceiling along the wall. Turns out the roof vent was actually cracked- not sure how, hail/wind/tree branches? Regardless, I'm guessing I've got a way bigger problem like you do, and that there's a lot more drywall damage and most likely mold. Hope we both get covered!!

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
hey gypsy id read them the fine print and ask them about their good hands as well.

A refer line is considered an appliance. leaks from these are covered under most policies.

constant and repeated seepage is never covered. period. this is basically to stop someone from waiting 5 years or procrastinating and turning a small drip that they could have repaired for $50 into a larger claim.

ya know let it drip for 3 years then call Mr Allstate and look to get $10K.

the issue or trigger is when you learned about it. id say you have solid ground to stand on. if they dont listen to you get a lawyer if big enough or private adjuster. if its small you can take them to small claims court. providing your statute of limitations has not run out

their game is theyre hoping you go away. a little resistance can persuade them to change their mind just to get rid of it

cheaper to pay it than to fight it senario esp if its a grey area that a judge will bomb them for

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have a timeline on my messenger. Texted the guy who installed the flooring as soon as I noticed the problem. That was Thursday. He replied Friday and I crawled under the house Saturday. I've got a sister who's an attorney. So if they jack me around, she might help (or not, we're not always on the best of terms). And I know that people try to defraud insurance companies all the time; But I've paid for years and never had a claim. I'm going to be very disappointed if they try to screw me on a (questionable) technicality over this. Just the $$$ they've made investing my premiums has got to be over a $100K.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And Gypsy, in my case there doesn't seem to be any structural damage so they can't say that this is a problem that I should have seen months ago. I hope that make a difference in my favor.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,357 Posts
I also once had a similar leak and damage from the bathroom sink which they denied too. Not really complaining just giving notice that my particular policy with my particular company doesn't seem to cover this type damage. I wasn't raised with insurance. Stuff broke, we fixed it or did without. SMWBO has taken it as an excuse to redecorate and returns from Home Depot almost every weekend with flooring samples claiming "No really, THIS is what I want in the kitchen/bathroom/living room."
We/I thought the refrigerator itself was to blame at first and replaced it. I REALLY like the new side by side. Bonus is there wasn't really anything wrong with the old one so it's now full of...beverages (and frozen pork ribs) out in the garage.
When I tear out the floor by the refrigerator I will have to pull the cabinets. So guess what? SWMBO was jumping for joy about that until she added up the totals. We're living with a warped kitchen floor for a while. Focus has turned to the primary bathroom. Second bath I already did a full renovation on because of a leaking toilet with no thought to calling the insurance company.
If something happens to the roof or something I'll call Allstate. Probably.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
You can also file a complaint with your state ins. commision..............I'm told the the ins. supervisors hate that........

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think we're looking at probably over 5K in repairs. About what I paid to have the hardwood floors and master BR carpet installed. I'm with G-R with regards to most home repairs, but I'm not going to eat it on this. At my rental, I replace the threshold at the back door twice on my dime. Once as a free-bee from a relative of the ex and once, done right, myself. Never thought of calling the ins. co. They would have been totally justified in refusing to pay for that one. I knew rain was coming in and I kept trying band-aids to stop the intrusion, knowing all along that my attempts were failing. But that isn't the case here. I notice my flooring looking strange and never saw a drop of water and next thing I know, I've got a water problem.

And there seems to be a real reticence on the part of consumers to even explore using their homeowners ins. If I got in a pretty bad fender-bender and I have comp ins., I'm not going to say, "well, I'm not going to use the insurance unless the car is totaled." Been paying homeowners for thirty years with nary a claim. I won't feel bad using it now. Even if I have to kick up some dust.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
the state ins depts dont get involved with this stuff as they consider it a legal issue and they feel its better for court to decide on it.

they only get involved if policy practices or procedures were violated by the company.

example: they dropped you in 10 days when the law says they must give you 30 days.
or they cashed your check but never reinstated you. or they rasied your rates without giving you proper
advanced notice

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
I highlighted one line in ^^^^ You may have an issue. Here is a quote from Allstate:

Most standard homeowners policies provide protection from water damage if the cause is sudden and accidental. According to the Insurance Information Institute, you'll likely be protected if, for instance, your drywall is drenched after your water heater ruptures or an upstairs pipe bursts and water saturates the ceiling below.

What's Not Covered?

Homeowners insurance does not cover all types of water damage, however.

^^^^^ Damage from unresolved maintenance issues: While your insurance will probably help cover the cost of replacing or repairing a damaged floor if your dishwasher suddenly goes on the fritz, coverage generally will not kick in if the damage results from an unresolved maintenance issue, such as continuous leaking near a faucet or other plumbing fixture.

Replacing or repairing the source of the water damage: Most insurance policies will not cover the source of the water damage. So while your policy may cover the cost of tearing out and replacing that damaged floor, you shouldn't expect it to cover the cost of replacing your broken dishwasher or washing machine.

Water backup from an outside sewer or drain: You also will not typically be covered by a traditional homeowners policy if water backs into your home through an outside sewer or drain. You may, however, be able to purchase additional sewer or water backup coverage that may help provide protection in case of such an event.

Flood: No type of flood damage, no matter the source of the water, is covered by standard homeowners policies. Flooding, for example, can occur from storms, over-saturated ground, overflowing or surging bodies of water such as rivers, ponds, lakes and oceans, You can, however, purchase flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program.

We had a water leak 3 years ago. The 1st 24 hours, we did not see any water. Friday night: Laundry room floor, 1st level, tile floor, wife finds the floor is blistering hot. She thinks fire (concrete and pier foundation, tile floor, nope), but I am thinking hot water, so I turn off the water to that area, contact leak finder, 1st available date is in about a week.

Saturday night: The water appears, oozing up from under the house, tiles popping off the slab, hardwood floors buckling, lower part of parts dissolving due to water weeping up the sheet rock, built in cabinets coming apart. There was nothing we could do, as the leak was under the slab, and no telling how much water was under the house, and it slowly vented up all the pressure.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Allstate says that we're covered. ServePro came out and removed the floor. A local restoration company says that they can do most of the work while we're on vacation and Allstate will pay us $200/day for hotel while we're on vacation. Wish it had never happened.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Congrats on getting it covered! It's really a case by case basis. I know people who've gotten coverage and those who have been denied.

The other thing I've noticed is that almost EVERYONE I know with wood floors have had them replaced for water damage at one point.

My in-laws have had to replace boards in 3 different places in the last 5 years for different water damage.

Just one more reason I prefer tile.

In the last 12 years since I redid our floors, I've had the refrigerator leak twice and one sink or another leak a few times. No tiles needed replacing :)

If it's even in the relative vicinity of water, I'd never consider wood.

And for me, I do carpet in bedrooms for noise and comfort. I'm a super light sleeper and wood would be a bad thing for me.

I do love how it looks and feels though!

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Congrats!! I ended up getting the interior damage in my home covered as well, but not the actual leak itself. They couldn't prove it wasn't just water that blew up under a vent and not hail damaged shingles. So- I have to cut an access hole through the ceiling to inspect the roof and determine where the water came in at. If I can prove it was the shingles, they'll cover it too. Glad we both didn't get hung out to ...be wet! lol

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Congrats! Just some apparently little known info. Insurance adjusters could not care less if attorneys are retained or a complaint is filed with the State Dept of Insurance. Many times when that happens it is the insured who gets an education and the claim goes smoothly. Disclaimer: Ya, we all know there are some adjusters who are jerks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts