Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Water heater exploded - what to do?

So I'm not a virgin anymore. Got stuck with the car last night due to a hole in my steering fluid hose.

I literally got out of the mechanic, drove for 5 minutes and suddenly water started to come out of the passenger seat!!! I went back and he said it's the water heater that explodes and I need a new one ($95).

He said I can drive like that but I should be careful. I drove home (about 15 minutes) and it didn't over heated.

What should I do in the meanwhile? Can I drive? Is it dangerous at all?

I'm bummed. Any help will be great.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
you need a new heater core. meanwhile it can be bypassed by connecting the hoses together under the hood.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I get one? A specific brand?

How do I connect the two? Is it safe to drive?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Rockauto.com
RockAuto Parts Catalog

Your car has two hoses.
Remove one completely, from the water pump and heater core.
Remove the heater core end of the remaining hose, attach it to the water pump (where you removed the other hose).
Make sure the excess hose won't rub on anything, fall into anything, or lay on an exhaust manifold. (Ty-wraps will work to temporarily hold it in place).

·
Registered
836 Posts
Rockauto.com
RockAuto Parts Catalog

Your car has two hoses.
Remove one completely, from the water pump and heater core.
Remove the heater core end of the remaining hose, attach it to the water pump (where you removed the other hose).
Make sure the excess hose won't rub on anything, fall into anything, or lay on an exhaust manifold. (Ty-wraps will work to temporarily hold it in place).
Might wanna drain ur coolant before hand

·
Registered
332 Posts
i didnt catch what year your car is but i have one from the 67 that i am not going to be putting back in... im near Camp Pendleton (Oceanside Ca) if your interested, $10 and its yours

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey I'm gunna piggyback off this question...

Does anyone know a good place to get a working heater box cheaply? I'm in the middle of redoing my heater (No A/C) and the only heater box I can find is $220 on CJPonyParts, I've already checked craigslist.

·
Registered
332 Posts
where are you located Jester, if dedo isnt interested i have the core, box everything from my 67... im plugging the holes in the firewall and omitting the heater

·
Registered
35,897 Posts
Hey I'm gunna piggyback off this question...

Does anyone know a good place to get a working heater box cheaply? I'm in the middle of redoing my heater (No A/C) and the only heater box I can find is $220 on CJPonyParts, I've already checked craigslist.
Why are you replacing it?

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
hmmm $95 for a HC repl in a mustang. yeah the part is about $30 but its at least an 8 hr job if you know exactly what your doing. what am i missing here???
Cost me $450 and that was 15 yrs ago lol

Yikes im prob due for another by now

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While driving back home today, smoke started to come out the heating system.

What can it be?

It was a short drive, hope it mess anything up.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
hmmm $95 for a HC repl in a mustang. yeah the part is about $30 but its at least an 8 hr job if you know exactly what your doing. what am i missing here???
Cost me $450 and that was 15 yrs ago lol

Yikes im prob due for another by now
Factory A/C maybe?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
While driving back home today, smoke started to come out the heating system.

What can it be?

It was a short drive, hope it mess anything up.
If the heater core has a tiny pin hole it will open up when it gets hot and steam will come out of the defroster vents..it will often steam up the windshield so bad you can't see if the temps are cool outside..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the heater core has a tiny pin hole it will open up when it gets hot and steam will come out of the defroster vents..it will often steam up the windshield so bad you can't see if the temps are cool outside..
Is it just steam (with bad smell) or it's causing damage as well while driving it?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Replace the heater hoses while you're at with the correct style. Don't have the mechanic use ugly pink aftermarket cheapies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts