Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! In my car it gets wet under the passenger seats and under the passengers feet. I tried to dry it with vans but it is still wet under the insulation at the passenger’s feet. I use a cover but it does not stay on in storms. I would like to waterproof the car somewhat. The photos show part of the problem. Is there a way to seal that rear side window?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
There's supposed to be a rubber seal on the outside of the window. I can't tell from the pictures, but do you have one in place? It should look like the ones on the door windows, assuming the door windows have the rubber on them.

·
Registered
595 Posts
What do your belt-line felts look like? They aren't water proof by any means, but they will deflect water from going down the gap.

You're really pouring a lot of water down the gap. Is it a realistic simulation of rain? Seems like a lot.

There should be a moisture barrier behind the sheet metal quarter panel piece. It is held to the framework with butyl rubber seals. The barrier might be missing, allowing water to pour down the gap, hit the regulator and splash against sheet metal and then flow onto the carpet.

There are also some weep holes at the bottom of the trough that allow water to drip out of the gap. They might be restricted so that you get some drips but not enough drainage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's supposed to be a rubber seal on the outside of the window. I can't tell from the pictures, but do you have one in place? It should look like the ones on the door windows, assuming the door windows have the rubber on them.
I am afraid I don’t have those on the door or the rear side window. I could not find those rubbers online either. Could you maybe point me to those? Then I’ll order them. Are they hard to install?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
That looks like a 65/66 hardtop to me, so I think these are the ones you need:

That covers the doors and the rear windows. There's a felt covered piece for the inside of the window and a rubber piece for the outside. If you roll the window down and look in the channel you'll see some small holes along the lip. The seals snap into those holes.

The moisture barrier @66#3 mentioned is hidden behind the panels. You'll have to take a panel off to see if they're there. If they aren't, those should be this part:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Kudos to you for trying to fix up your stang. In other posts, you've shared that your a novice, so that certainly makes all things car-related a little baffling for you! I suspect you may have more than one leak with more than one cause. Can you take out the 1/4 trim panel, and have someone spray the car with a hose while you sit inside and watch where water seems to be coming from. The corner of the back glass area and of course the cowl are known spots. Do you have an NPD catalog yet? Much better than their web site truth be told. No, I am not a fan of cj pony parts...Put your city/state location in your avatar...maybe there are some local folks that can also help you out in person! You had another post going about your engine bay, be sure to use the search function here, google, utube etc to see what others have done. BMCGM is doing that stuff right now on his car in another post. Probably nothing you want to know hasn't been asked or discussed before. Good photos to help us understand what you are dealing with by the way! Keep us posted, and don't get too frustrated or upset with the car, these are the type of things that come with these old vehicles.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I am afraid I don’t have those on the door or the rear side window. I could not find those rubbers online either. Could you maybe point me to those? Then I’ll order them. Are they hard to install?
You don’t have your beltline seals!! No wonder it’s leaking like a siiv!! I did all the beltline seals on my car. It’s a 68 Coupe don’t know what yours is. I had to do mine twice because I got cheap Chinese junk the first time and fit was terrible. Got USA made set that was much better. I can Spray my entire car with a strong spray and none of my windows will leak a drop!

Unfortunately those rear coupe weather seals and felts come with the entire kit and not as separate items.

I see the guy up there pointed you to one of the good NPD kits. Don’t buy one of the cheap beltline kits it’ll be junk from China that fits terribly. I’ve already been there with these. That brand “Dale’s” is one of the USA made reproductions and it’s worth every penny for this kind of job.

Rear coupe window outer seals are easy can be tricky for the felts on the other side. Also there is a water shield on the inside that is tacked on with 3M strip caulk. On both coupe windows and the big doors. Those are also key to water proofing and preserving the hardware. Numerous videos on install. Google 6x Mustang Beltline Weather Seals.

Similar seals in the big doors are much harder but not impossible. You have to remove the door panels and drop the window down by removing the stopper. It’s all in those videos.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks like a 65/66 hardtop to me, so I think these are the ones you need:

That covers the doors and the rear windows. There's a felt covered piece for the inside of the window and a rubber piece for the outside. If you roll the window down and look in the channel you'll see some small holes along the lip. The seals snap into those holes.

The moisture barrier @66#3 mentioned is hidden behind the panels. You'll have to take a panel off to see if they're there. If they aren't, those should be this part:
Thank's again for sharing these links! The review on that felt kit did not look to good on the NPDlink site. It is only one review though. Do you still think it is smart to go for these or should I switch to the CJ pony parts option? Those have mostly (but not exclusively) good reviews:

·
Registered
595 Posts
NPD is a very reputable vendor, and I've bought parts from them, but I can't advise which product to buy from them. I bought my belt line felts from Summit. They were Scott Drake "repops" as I recall. They aligned perfectly in the clip holes, but I needed to drill a small screw hole at the aft end. I think the screw holes are located "as installed", not to a specified location.

A word of advice: get some door panel tools before you undertake this project. (It isn't a hard project, but if you have the right tool before you start, you'll save yourself some stress and paint damage. Watch Bill on the CJPony Parts video. He does a good job showing how it is done, especially that step about flattening pull-outs.) You can get plastic door panel tools at your FLAPS or even Harbor Freight. They're pretty dumb tools, but necessary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts