Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the hard rain here yesterday I took out the stang for a leak test. I am considering myself lucky in that I only had one leak.

Water was pouring in from under the dash on the passenger side, running down and dripping off the heater assembly.

My guess is the water is either coming from the front windshield or the vented area between the hood and the windshield.

Anyone have any suggestions on where the water might be coming from. What are the common areas under the dash water can come from on Mustangs?

Any help here would save me some time.

Also any suggestions on how I can find the spot.
I was planning on dumping buckets of water in different areas till I find the leak.

Thanks

Jimbo65

65 I6 200 Coupe (Daily Driver)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bet it is your cowl, the peice between the windshield ant the hood.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Sound like the cowl. Not an easy thing to repair, do a search here and you should find lots of ideas on how to patch it or repair it properly.

68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570462&a=11937310&p=44317415.jpg

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Most likely it is your cowl vent that is leaking. Over the years they have had a tendency to rust out. I know mine has. There are two fixes. 1) the expensive and proper fix....remove all of the spot welds, cut out the old cowl vent and rust, then weld in a new one. 2) The cheaper fix is to silicone in the plastic "hats". If the rust isn't too bad, this can seal up the cowl. But this isn't a permanent fix. The rust is still there, so eventually your back at option 1.

The other notorious place for leaking is the windshield. Over the 30 some years the weather stripping has gone the way of the buffalo.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
487 Posts
I love this....he he

First mention of water and everyone chimes in with "cowl vent".

I took the Moneypit out for a short spin in the rain today....Lo and behold the rain started falling inside the car! From the top of the windshield over the passenger seat....Oh well, I'm not ridin' over there anyway.....lol

Dang! Just when I got used to being "strange", I became a "newbie". Now I'm a "tire kicker"....thump, thump.....he he

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
You stay nice and dry, but I feel sorry for your passenger....LOL

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While it does sound like a cowl leak, I had water come in from around my radio antenna. It wasn't pouring in, but it was a steady stream. Might want to check the gasket or whatever holds that thing on.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the poor pasenger. SWMBO is the one in mention. She will not be happy at all, when she feels the first drops hit her ankle.

I am going to check them tomorrow, pouring water in the cowl first, then moving over the windshield.

There is not a lot of rust anywhere on the car, but the seams may have come apart. On the other hand my windshield weather stripping is pretty bad. I can only hope that is the source of water.

Thanks

Jimbo65

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Simple solution - dont go out in the rain. Thats what your daily driver is for hehehehe

Mike
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The stang is my Daily Driver.

HeHeHeHe

and
Looking for another one!

LOL

Jimbo65

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Nothing wrong with that! If your gasket is not in great shape I'd say gasket but testing for the cowl leak first makes sense. I've been fortunate here in Southern Cal, the cowls on my 'Stangs are not bad. Unfortunately I can't seem to get windshields to seal (except one and that's an ex-parts car I sold).

Some other folks have mentioned in the past that the leather gasket for the windshield wiper shaft had started leaking.

Good Luck!

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had this problem. It was the cowl. I found it easyer to remove everything from under the dash and cut and repair from below. You can remove everything in about 2 hr, bout 3 to put it back.

zot
2-67 stang & 67 cougar & 75 mgb
www.yezot.com

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Hi,

It also might be the seam inside the engine compartment, where the shock tower braces bolt to the fire wall. I have a cowl cover that doesn't let water in. But I still have a leak. I poured water in spots and watched to see if it would leak under the dash. Turns out it was from there. That was how it got into the cowl. But the hats that are in the driver side fresh air vent and the top of the heater box passenger side had rust holes. I took a vacuum and atached a defroster hose to the end. I then put it into the cowl from under the dash. That should get most of the water soaking debris out. Let it dry out for a few hours. Put some latex gloves on and squeeze some silicon in your hand. With the seat pushed all the way back lay on the floor board and smear as much silicon through the holes as you can get. Obviousley, my car is not a show car.

Can't wait to drive it this weekend,

Bart

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
two areas not mentioned in previous answers is the seam from the bottom of the "A" pilar to the cowl water outlet opening. seam may appear good but rusted out underneath - youu should see water marks down kick panel. another is a rusted out window frame at the edge of the window. agree with others cowl vent leak most probable.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Jimbo, consider yourself lucky that it's only in one spot. When it rains while I'm driving my '66 coupe, it not only leaks on both sides of the cowl, but also from 3 places from the windshield.

I've fixed the windshield, but still have to find the time to do the cowl work.

Good Luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts