Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 65 saw its first downpour since I have owned it. Man it was raining hard yesterday. When I got home, I looked back and noticed water dripping down the interior rear quarter. It obviously was coming from the fastback vents. Have any of you had this problem? I don't know if there is some type of seal that I am missing or what.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
If water is coming in from the fastback fresh air vents, it will end up on the rear floor. I don't think there is any real way for it to work its way out of the little drain tray. You do need to be sure you have drain hoses in place (taking the water from that little tray out through the floor). But if you're seeing it run down your interior panels, my experience has been that your back glass is leaking - not the fastback vents.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Ditto. It's not the vents, it's your rear window that's leaking. There is no way water from the vents could work it's way laterally to the interior panels.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I agree with what has been said. If you pull the fiberglass and look (see pic) the vent windows have a collection and drain line built in....you can open it up and see that it is place and functional (might also what to check that they are closed when its raining ;) )...but most likely you are getting water from the rear window seal. A good window glass place should be able to re-seal it for you, or you can order a new rubber (might be overkill) and put a new one in...most likely though as long as you don't have serious rust corrosion, simply pulling out the butter knife and squuezing a new thin bead on silicon into the rubber channel should help. Some of the mustang places sell a tool and tube of goock to do this fix.

http://www.dodgestang.com/images/subframe13.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts