Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 65 Fastback a few months ago & while I noticed the carpet was wet after I drove it home I thought it was b/c of the vent window left open. Anyways I decided to wash it yesterday , but before I did that I poured water down the cowl to see if anything would leak inside the car. I put newspaper & towels on the drivers side. No water dripped inside, but looking back I don't remember seeing any water pouring out under the car. I figure there has to be a drain to let the water out.
Anyways I washed the car & when I was done I opened the door & too my surprise the towel & newspapers were very wet. i peaked underneath the large air vent on the drivers side & I saw water dipping out. seems like the water must have went over the hat & down the vent(if that is possible) Could it be that the drain hole is just plugged & when the water built up it flowed over the hat & down?
I precided

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
It could very well be that the drain hole is plugged. The drain hole is behind the fender, basically on the outside of the cowl right where you would expect it to be. If the car sat for a long time, the drain could easily be plugged. If you have a compressor, try to blow the crap out.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will try that compressor tip. Hopefully it is just clogged up. When I initially poured water into the cowl, I didn't pour a whole lot, but enough that if it was rusted though I figured it would have leaked. I know that water never drained out under the fender.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
To properly clean out the cowl, it would be nice if you removed one of the fenders. Otherwise the best you can do is maybe carefully run a coat hangar wire down the top vents (somehow protect the paint) and push the wire over to where the vent would be and hopefully dislodge whatever might be there. Another way I believe might work is to remove the rear splash guard and hopefully you would have access to the vent holes.

A third way which again means using the vent slots on top is to fabricate a very small plastic tubing such as used in drip irrigation systems and somehow connect it to the end of an air compressor gun. Run the tubing down into the vent slots and work it over to the vent holes and blast the crap out of it.

My first and 3rd idea both impact the paint on your vent slots so please think about it before you do it.

Here's a pics of where the vent is. On our 65 we also have a rubber plugged hole as seen in the pic so we had two access holes on each side.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Another way I believe might work is to remove the rear splash guard and hopefully you would have access to the vent holes.
This is correct. With the rear splash guard removed there is easy access to the drain.

Dave

N

·
0 Posts
I have always pulled the fenders. If they are clogged up enough to stop water flow you really need to get in there and clean. Pulling the fenders may seem like alot of work but wait until you have to drill out 170 spot welds to replace the cowl. Just sayin'

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Due to the popularity of the leaky cowl on our Mustangs, we often overlook leaking windshields. I remember after reinstalling my windshield after completely replacing the cowls on my former 67 I still had a leak. It turns out the upper corner of the windshield seal/gasket was letting water run down inside and drip on the floor.
Daniel

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Good point. Modern windshields install much differently than the old gasket/seal Mustang windshields. Installers rarely voluntarily apply gasket sealer as required to prevent leaks.

Also, a faulty WS Wiper linkage gasket can allow water onto the floor boards...

Dave

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Also keep in mind if you use compressed air to clear the cowl the crap will not only blow out hopefully through the plugged drain hole but will more than likely blow down through the top hats into the heater box and on your feet. Prepare to clean up a big ole mess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the compressor, but it did not help. I have one of those small ones. It wasn't strong enough. I am wary of pulling the fender b/c the last mustang I had I never could get it aligned right. It was all out of whack & bugged me until the day I sold it. I try the rear splash guard. Don't know how to remove, but I will do a search & see.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have the exact same problem and I figured out that the water would come in the top Dr side corner molding of my windshield and it would come out of the vent on the kick panel(exactly what you described!) I am going with all new glass just as soon as the car is painted so that should clear up my problem.

Dave

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Don't know how to remove....
There are a couple nuts on the inboard side of the splash shield that are NOT EASY to see. They're hidden by the leading edge of the cowl side panel and they're usually covered with road grime/undercoating and aren't visible without a mirror.

IIRC, there's an obvious one down at the bottom of the splash shield that's easily (easier) located.

DO NOT REMOVE your fender... this is complete overkill for this problem. With the much easier to remove splash shields out of the way, you've got easy/clear access to the cowl drain holes.

Good luck! and let us know how it turned out...

Dave

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
You might consider attempting to cover the cowl vent up with something and wash the car again. Even a towel to help absorb the water and do not spray directly at the towel. Assuming you can do this and minimize the amount of water into the cowl and if you get water on the carpet, then it probably is a leaky windshield as mentioned above.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts