Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, newbie here and only owned my 65 for less then a week. I admit I don't know the rules of using a forum, but am impressed with the knowledge on here, so looking for help. Oh yeah, I'm also a girl that knows nothing about engines, but your replies my husband may understand better. Here's the rundown.
1. Loud knock or rattle when idle in park or say stopped at a light, or driving extremely slow, cant hear it when driving up to speed.2. Engine and radiator and other parts extremley hot to touch, even after shut down for a while. 3. Strong smell of exhaust(I think, not sure what hot antifreeze smells like,so could be that).4. Saw some steam coming from oil cap today. Temp gauge hasn't moved, so it may not be operable. No leaks, radiator full. THis is a 200 straight 6.After reading threads, could this be a water pump? If so, should I stop driving immediatly, or can I daily drive short distance for a couple more days until can get to mechanic? Thank you!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, newbie here and only owned my 65 for less then a week. I admit I don't know the rules of using a forum, but am impressed with the knowledge on here, so looking for help. Oh yeah, I'm also a girl that knows nothing about engines, but your replies my husband may understand better. Here's the rundown.
Welcome I'm new too to this site!

1. Loud knock or rattle when idle in park or say stopped at a light, or driving extremely slow, cant hear it when driving up to speed.2. Engine and radiator and other parts extremley hot to touch, even after shut down for a while. 3. Strong smell of exhaust(I think, not sure what hot antifreeze smells like,so could be that).4. Saw some steam coming from oil cap today. Temp gauge hasn't moved, so it may not be operable. No leaks, radiator full. THis is a 200 straight 6.After reading threads, could this be a water pump? If so, should I stop driving immediatly, or can I daily drive short distance for a couple more days until can get to mechanic? Thank you!

Do not drive until you know what the issue is period.

Coolant smells sweet.

maybe a video or sound clip of the noise?

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I won't be of much help with diagnosing your problems, but one thing that seems much too common is that when you buy an old car, you better get ready to replace a lot of little things, along with performing the routine maintenance that previous owners always seem to neglect. Check your belts hoses and other rubber parts for wear. Check your spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap, rotor, points, and check your timing.

The radiator, engine and exhaust system will always be very hot to the touch. You need to find out why your temperature gauge is not working fix it so you can see if the engine is getting too hot. Your coolant system may need to be flushed. It could be clogged with rust and debris.

Your exhaust system may be leaking at the flange where the manifold meets the exhaust pipe. If it is an old system, it could be leaking in a number of places, including the pipes and muffler, because there could be holes due to rust. This was my old exhaust system. Plenty of holes in it.

The inline six is a great engine. It is pretty bulletproof and easy to wok (and learn) on. If you have a mechanic you trust, have him look the car over carefully and let you know what should be done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it is real serious, like a rod knock, it will change tone greatly when you remove the spark plug wire to that cylinder.

Use a well insulated pliers, pull and reinstall each spark plug wire one by one with the engine running. When you get to the cylinder that is bad the noise will lesson or go away. This will tell you which cylinder has the problem, it will not nec tell you that it is a rod knock. Oh if you get shocked...

well you did not have the pliers insulated well enough. :lol:

If the sound basically goes away as the rpms goes up it would not be a rod knock. If it was a rod knock it would be faster and louder. Water pump issues tend to be a growl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, will do the spark plug check, and may try to get a video clip, if I can figure out the technical side of doing that ;)..thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is a good indication your water pump is stuffed. Grab hold of the fan ( when the engine is stopped )and try to wiggle it side to side. It you have excessive play your bearing is shot.

GB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Took it by the mechanic and he looked and listend as I put it in drive. He immediately had an answer for me..Turns out the alternator is vibrating against the engine when put into drive..seems to be missing some very important mounting bolts! Not sure how that happened, but at least we know. Anyone know the part number for the mounting bolts for '65 inline six? We have the shop manuel, but can't find the part number. Thanks in advance! This forum is amazing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts